It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User
numb

Its been a really really long time since i've had a good bout of depression. Im going down hill quickly and trying to stop it. I first felt it coming when I started sleeping 2-3 hours more than normal. So I started excercising. That only makes me more tired, but I know its good for me, so I am trying to stick with it, but i have really bad stickwithitness. ANd my yoga class ends tomorrow night. I still have the gym though. I am trying to eat better but all I want are cookies. Ive started taking vitamins, Im trying to do more activites, but all i want to do is sleep. i havent cried at all yet, but i m not really feeling anything. i dont feel happy, i dont feel sad, and i think numb pretty much sums it up....just a vent, thanks.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: numb

Have you tried any of the alternative medicines? St. John's Wort, etc. Are you in therapy or have you thought about it? Sometimes depression just hits and stays with us and there is nothing we can do about it. The excercise is definately a good thing though

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
(female)

bloodyhell HB User

It sounds to me that you are trying to help yourself. That's a good sign. For me, I don't go to yoga classes anymore, but I still do it at home. the gym's a good attempt, keep it up. I take 5-HTP capsules, 100 mg a day, and a homeopathic liquid called Vc-15. Fish oil, flaxseed oil, or primrose oil is loaded with the good kind of stuff. As for numbness, I suppose we all have tried that strategy, but as you already probably know, it's only a temporary solution. If you have access to a willing ear or a therapist, try to talk it out. Or you can continue to "talk" here. We're pretty much all in the same boat.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Counseling and volunteer work are good. Stay connected to the world. I run til the snow flies, then hit the gym. It sounds like you are doing the basics. Hang in there.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
(male)

Breezes HB User

I think support is a key part of finding the motivation to fight depression. A therapist is a good source for that, and there's a lot to be said for the personal growth that comes from therapy. Support groups and any family and friends that are non judgmental and supportive are a plus. I find that there is a sweet spot when it comes to exercise. 30 minutes is right for me, more or less is less effective. I think aerobic exercise is best. It raises serotonin levels higher than less intense exercise. It's helpful to eat a small snack after exercise. Diet is important. Sugar can cause tiredness and mood swings. Fish oil is good. There are studies to back it up for depression, and it's good for overall health.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

weasel HB User

Thanks for responding. I should give the fish oil a try. does it leave a fishy after taste or smell like fish? I do have supportive friends and family which is helpful, and I am on medication. Therapy made matters worse, because when I was in therapy (for 3 years, the first 2 which were productive) I started to over analyze everything and it was ruining my life. I think its mostly the cold and dark ( I live in New England).. I am feeling better today...Ive been mega dosing B vitamins. It I am also starting to think my job is contributing to this. I work with kids in the state system (foster kids, delinquints, etc) and I see and hear terrible terrible things everyday. Maybe a vacation is in order.

Closed Thread