It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
(female)

nycgirl80 HB User
meds & alcohol

I know it's said that you shouldn't consume alcohol while taking anti-depressants, but am I the only person who doesn't have a problem with this? I take my meds in the morning and, when I do have drinks, it's later in the evening. I've never experienced a problem with this. Is it ok to be a moderate social drinker when on these meds?

Old 12-05-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
Re: meds & alcohol

I think the only problem with this is that it multiplys the effects of alcohol, like 2 drinks would feel like 4 drinks ect. As for the any damage on your body, you'd have to ask a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
(female)

Happy Days HB User

The problem with drinking alcohol and taking antidepressants is that you are defeating the purpose of the antidepressants. Alcohol is a depressant. Not sure how long you have been on your antidepressants but I can tell you that I have been on mine for two years and did drink moderately with the antidepressants. Depression can come in waves as it may be moderate and then become severe for what ever reason. The alcohol not only increases the depression but can decrease your inhibitions that may lead to taking more meds or harming your self in ways that you may not have during the moderate bouts of depression. I am speaking from experience. I became severely depressed last month and not only used alcohol with my meds but had suicidal thoughts and took more than I should have. I was rushed to the hospital. I do not have any recollection of my actions during this binge except that I woke up in a mental hospital. I am now trying new meds and undergoing intense therapy to deal with this major depression. My doctor has told me not to consume any type of alcohol. Better safe than sorry, drink non-alcoholic or virgin beverages.

Last edited by Happy Days; 12-05-2006 at 04:17 PM.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I have the occassional drink to unwind. I know the risks and I know what it does to my body but that one drink every now and then lets me feel normal for a bit.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-06-2006, 02:16 AM   #5
(male)

mongomad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg247
I have the occassional drink to unwind. I know the risks and I know what it does to my body but that one drink every now and then lets me feel normal for a bit.

trg247
I'm with you, trg247. I don't drink more than a few and only once a week (i.e. if I choose to have a few Thursday, I won't touch any on the weekend)

I happen to really enjoy the taste of beer and the calming affects 3 or 4 have on me. Since so severely depressed earlier this year, I didnt touch them for months, but now if I have a good day, a couple cold ones is a nice reward. Not an escape from an issue, but a reward if I surprise myself with how cleverly I handle a situation. That with a good game of my college playing in ANY sport, is a splendid thing indeed.

Last edited by mongomad; 12-06-2006 at 02:19 AM.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:57 AM   #6
(male)

bloodshot HB User

meds = antidepressent
booze = depressent
both don't mix and do a number on your liver

i have a problem with drinking but am trying to control it myself

Old 12-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #7
(female)

nycgirl80 HB User

I read on ***** that it's certain kinds of anti-depressants you have to be careful with, namely MAOIs. I'm on SSRIs. They recommend that I drink no more than the recommended intake for people in general (no more than 14 units per week for females).

I mean, let's face it, I'm 26, I live in NYC. I go out and socialize once or twice a week. Now, while I don't HAVE to drink, I do enjoy having drinks with friends. Is it safe to assume that the advice I got from ***** is accurate?

Closed Thread