It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Doctor's Appointment

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and to be quite honest I really do not want to go. I have so little faith in my doctor that its unbelievable and there is no way to get another doctor. He will ask the same questions he always ask and I will give him the same answers with the odd irregularity.

I am in trouble. I am loosing control over everything. My bright spot is Saturday after noon and the rest of the week I spend waiting for it. Self injury is a funny thing and it becomes a habit quickly. I need for the counseling to start, someone has to be able to find that depression button and turn it off. I am tired and I don't want to sleep. Nothing makes sense. I know I have to fight but for how long, this severe outbreak has been over a year. Depression since I was twelve and now I am in my thirties. I keep hoping something happens. I have almost 2000 posts here, I don't know if that is a good thing.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
Re: Doctor's Appointment

you must be a very strong person if you've had depression since you were 12. I've had it for only 4 years and i'm already falling apart.

I don't have much advice, but just keep being brave. do you know for sure you can't get another doctor? are you still in therapy? if so how is that going?

Take care. I hope a bright day comes for you, even if it's just for a day. You are in my thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
(female)

Happy Days HB User

trg247,

Not sure why you can't change doctors but instead of you answering the same questions, why don't you write up a list of questions and have your doctor answer them. A year is a long time to suffer without a breakthrough. You may want to ask the following just as an example.

1.) What meds are you taking, why, and what chemicals are they targeting in your brain?

2.) How come the meds are not helping your depression?

3.) What alternative treatments are available in addition to the medications?

4.) If you are not in counseling, when will your talk therapy begin? Meds are only a part of the healing process for depression.

5.) Inform the doctor about your self harm and what steps is he/she taking to protect your welfare.

6.) What treatment is available to help you sleep? Lack of sleep makes depression worse and can actually lead to hallucinations if not treated. If there are any changes in your appetite, also tell your doctor.

These are just a few but I bet you probably have many more. Unfortunately you will have to hold this doctor accountable for your treatment and demand the help you need. Also keep a detailed journal and document your moods, changes in mood, and when they happen. When a doctor sees that you are actively engaging in you health care, this puts them in a position that they have to come up with answers. Take care of yourself.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
(female)

kalimba HB User

Hi Trg

I just wanted to let you know i've been feeling the same way, and I was going to post a similar thread about my vist to a different dr yesterday. What a waste of time.

I ended up talking on the phone to my sister (who also has had depression) for almost two hours and that helped more than some dr telling me he didn't have time, so I should just keep to the facts. I wanted to get up and walk out at that point. The only reason I didn't was becuz my "real" Dr. was out of town and he had made arrangements for me to see this guy until he was able to see me. Seems i've been going down once again and I had promised to call him under certain circumstances.

I'm not suicidal, but i've been having disturbing intrusive thoughts which really scared me becuz in all the years i've been depressed (and i haven't seen thirty in decades!) this had never happened before. I don't want to act on the thoughts, but what happens if I do the next time it happens? This "dr" didn't even know what intrusive thoughts were or even negative self talk!

My sister and I agreed that no one really understands unless they have experienced depression themselves and that includes all the so-called experts out there too.

I don't have any words of wisdom, wish I did.
I'm glad you have that bright spot on Saturday afternoons.

Good luck and take care

k

Last edited by kalimba; 12-05-2006 at 09:02 PM.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi: Thanks for all of the replies and ideas. Therapy is me waiting to get on the waiting list if that makes any sense. My patience is running out with my doctor but because there are so few doctors up here that I can not get another one. The combo now: Lithium, Zyprexa, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Remeron and Temazapam, I have been on for a full year with the only change being the sleeping med which use to be Trazadone, so I have given it enough time. Its funny my doc suggested I be admitted a few months ago and they would get me off all of my meds, be completly clean for five weeks then start MAOI's but he has not mentioned it since.

thanks again for responding
trg247

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
(female)

Happy Days HB User

Going into the hospital may be the best for you right now. I was inpatient for about 10 days last month. The doctor can try more meds at different dosages within a shorter time versus going to their office over months. In the hospital the nurses monitor your vitals and how you react to the meds. You will also probably see more of your doctor and hopefully also get some therapy. I tried Trazadone, Seroquel, and Ambien and could not go to sleep with any of these meds. I would lie in the bed and have a million thoughts running through my mind. I am now back on Ativan for anxiety and it also relaxes my body so that I can sleep. I am taking Effexor and Cymbalta for depression so hope this works.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:57 AM   #7
(male)

mongomad HB User

trg247,

I posted about the same thing, getting a good dr./help. Once you admit you have the problem, there should not be so much red tape involved in finding a competent Dr./Dr.'s and a therapist. I tell you this, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Call your insurance company and get a comprehensive list of all dr's and therapists as far as you can drive.

In your state of mind, it would be ideal if a family member could then research and push to get you seen soon by someone you BELIEVE in or at least willing to try. If you know someone that sees one of the field experts you want to give a try, they can probably get you an app't sooner than you just calling (worked for me).

Have them put you down for any cancellations as the 1st person to call and make sure you go on time if they do that for you.

Just curious, what happens on Saturday afternoons?

Old 12-06-2006, 01:57 AM   #8
(male)

mongomad HB User

Last edited by mongomad; 12-06-2006 at 01:58 AM.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Trg, I get the feeling that you don't speak out frequently with your doctor. Tell him all of these things. Tell him that you need more. Ask if you can be admitted and be taken off all of your meds. Don't just sit there and respond to his lead only. I also get the feeling that you are not getting worse but that you just don't want to put up with this life anymore. Remember, I read back through a lot of your posts one day and I have noticed that over the last month that you have been posting about normal everyday things which was a change from the past. Previously, all of your posts were about your symptoms or about your memories. Recently, your posts have been about life "out there" and life right now. This change in your outlook can actually be seen as an improvement but it can also make you "itchy" for more improvement in your life.

Last edited by Sannah; 12-06-2006 at 05:10 AM.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:22 AM   #10
(female)

daftthing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg247
Its funny my doc suggested I be admitted a few months ago and they would get me off all of my meds, be completly clean for five weeks then start MAOI's but he has not mentioned it since.
Maybe you could bring it up again? It's worth a shot - it sounds like it could be a good plan for you.

Karen. Xxxxxxx

Old 12-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

So I went to my Dr's appointment this morning and pretty much this is how it went: Dr: How have you been? T: Alright (I always says this for some reason) Dr: How is your relationship with your wife? T: Nonexsistent Dr: Are you having thoughts of suicide? T: Occasionaly Dr: Are you cutting? T: Yes Dr: This is a problem T: Yes it is (this is a huge step for me actually admitting I have a problem) Dr: Are you still seeing your son? T:Yes every Saturday (this is my bright spot in the week). He then asked a bunch of simple questions like are you taking your meds, how are you sleeping, how is your concentration and what do I do all day. He then asked if I wanted to say anything so I told him about the waiting list for counseling and how I was a bit upset that it is taken so long to get better. I got in response well it does take time to get better and its good that you signed up for counseling. He handed me my prescriptions and the appointment was over, all in all it lasted about nine minutes.

I am Canadian which means I do not have to pay for doctors appointments but on the other hand your stuck with what you are given. Especially when there is only a handful of doctors in town. I spent two months in the hospital getting on the drug combo I currently take, I would go back in if there was a good plan. He said he is waiting for my blood tests to come back and then we will go from there (concerning meds)

thanks for all the responses
trg247

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-06-2006, 09:04 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

An MAOI might be just the thing for you. There's a guy in my Social Anxiety group who had tried everything else with no luck, then started on an MAOI and is doing really well. Of course the big problem with them is the diet restrictions but it would be worth it if it works for you.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

I am considering stopping Remeron and Zyprexa for awhile just to give my body a rest. These two are the hardest on the body and are responsible for the extra weight gain. The area around my kidneys and liver are sore. I have massive digestion problems. Headaches seem to be the ordinary these days. So maybe a little break would do my body good.

Take Care
trg247

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-08-2006, 06:31 AM   #14
(female)

bloodyhell HB User

Hang in there trg. I'm Canuck too, so I can sympathize. Is there a psych ward in your local hospital, or do you have to go to the Soo? As for counselling, it's hard even in the south to get in. Most of our health care is drug prescribing. It may sound stupid, but my advice is to get walking everyday for at least 30 mins. even if you have to go to the indoor mall to do so. Maybe a gym, start to lose the weight. It's freezing cold out today, but there's a warm front moving in. As for all those posts, no need to apologize. It helps me to read other's stories. Keep posting.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi: We have a small psych ward in one of the hospitals plus a full hospital dedicated to psych problems. I can not wait for the weather to warm up some as it has been twenty-five below zero for the last few days,

take care
trg247

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Last edited by trg247; 12-09-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Closed Thread