It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Unhappy How to Continue

Hi Everyone.
I'm new to this, yet have been viewing for some time now, here at work! To get to the point, my daughter (15) is having problems with depression, (self esteem per couselor). Things really escalated in November. Seeing a counselor seems to help, but when an appointment is cancelled for reasons beyond our control, she is really down. School is the major issue at this point. Has missed a whole week in November and has yet to go this week. The evenings are okay, she talks, seems to be in a decent mood. Mornings are horrible!! Was put on trazadone to help with the sleeping problems, but she says it doesn't help anymore and wants to be done with them. I don't want her taking it either but I'm at my wits ends. I'm doing everything I can, supporting her, trying to be positive,(she's an A-B student), not getting upset, but how can I continue when I feel like I am falling apart myself and yet have to continue to get up and go to work? (I also have a daughter in college who I feel I am neglecting due to my worrying about her sister). She says nothing is wrong in school, friendships, family; she just doesn't know. I think she does, deep down. Will this ever come out? I am so worried about her giving up. I'm tired of being tired and feeling like I'm being used and manipulated which I hear is how many feel at this point. Others out there with children going through this? Also, I think this can be hereditary as my father in law has been through this and my husband's nephew has bouts with anger/depression. He is close with my daughter, a year apart in the same school. Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User
Re: How to Continue

Mornings are the worst for me too, I think this is true for many if not most people with depression. By afternoon I'm usually feeling better and evenings are the easiest.

I don't know if you want to consider antidepressants and see if that helps any. I'm not much in favor of them myself, but sometimes they are necessary and since you think there's a genetic link, ADs might really help. I'm taking a very low dosage of Prozac and it's helping some, enough to keep me from going totally nuts.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Hi: Welcome to the boards. Fifteen is a tough age for anyone. Have you attended a counseling session with her? That might be an option. Antidepressants are an option but they have to be closely monitored. As for the Trazadone mine quit on me too after about two months

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

My 2 cents....She is too young to go down the path of anti depressants. That is a tough age and hopefully things will stabilize with continued counseling.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User

As the previous posters said, it could just be her age, i was in awful depression at that age, but i also had a awful diet, i think that fed the depression alot. How is her diet? It is very important to have a good, balanced diet while depressed.

Also maybe take her to the doctors to have a thyroid examination, lots of thyroid problems have depression as a symptom, and especially as she is not sure what fules her depression and is just feeling apathy, then maybe it is a thyroid problem causing her symptoms.

I hope i was of help.

Take care.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Caringmom, so sorry to hear that your daughter is dealing with depression. It is so hard to have a child with a health problem. My two daughters had health problems, one worse than the other, which were worse when they were little and gradually got better until now they are fine. I spent every waking moment in worry over their health when it was really bad. It is tough and all consuming and I had the most intense sobbing moments in my life over the one child. I also spent more time dealing with one child over the other. What can you do? Do you have anyone whom you can let it all out to? I used to sit with my husband at night and sob on occasion. You said that the counselor is helping. Give it time and it should keep improving. You sound like a very caring mother who is doing all that she can! I am sure that there are some other girls on this website who would love to have a caring and supportive mother like you.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

Just wanted to thank everyone for acknowledging me here. Just a great comfort to know someone else cares. I do "let it all out" to my husband, sister in law and even my boss! Very luck to have support all around. Hope and pray all will work out in the end. She has been tested earlier this fall for everything we can think of prior to the onset of depression. Very healthy in that respect. Thinking of you all.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

She is open to counseling and an A-B student. Sounds good. Hope everything works out for you. Good luck.

Closed Thread