It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 03:03 AM   #1
(female)

Calamity3039 HB User
I'm starting to think its not depression

Not sure if this is denial or miss diagnoses?

About a month ago I went to see a therapist. She told me I was depressed. I was perscribed citalopram and told it for a month. I'm not sure if I was truely depressed though. At the time of seeing the therapist I had been going through a break up, but thats not why I started to see a therapist. I started to see a therapist because I was confused about life in general. I think they were typical concerns that young adult have to be honest. I couldn't decide if I want to continue with college or to strike out on my own and start a few businesses myself. College doesn't really interest me, I start going to get away from home because I wanted to be on my own. I never reaelly intended to stay in college.

I dont think I currently am depressed, but I have been depressed in the past. During my senior year of high school the pressure of picking a college and choosing what I wanted to do with my life got the better part of me and I withdrawl completely (quit school, my job, and social life) but since then I haven't had a relapse. I do have problems in school- this probably because I'm not commited whole heartly to school in the first place. And I can't keep jobs long because I get bored with them (most of them are fast food-no skill jobs).

I have a balance with my social life. I have one, but I'm comfortable with spending time with myself at home. The only thing I can think of that I turely have a problem with is I get tired very easily and I have problems keeping a regular sleep patter (I naturally stay up all night and sleep in the day). When I was taking the citalopram I didn't really feel too many benefits from it. It made me feel good the first week then no effects at all. It just made me even more tired and I slept a lot. I'm just confused. I don't think I have depression,but then again it could be denial. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
Re: I'm starting to think its not depression

maybe it's your diet? Make sure your diet is heathly and balanced. Also i sugest getting a thyriod check, many thyroid disorders have depression as a symptom. I am currently researching into that for my own personal needs.

Every one goes through a point in their life when they feel like they have no direction, being young can be confusing, and hormones can effect your mood alot. Break up's can really hurt people, especially if you were feeling low before. But in time the pain heals. Insomnia really can mess up your moods. I also have insomnia, and the less i sleep the more symptoms i get. I become irritable, angry, tearfull, depressed, and eventually hypomanic. Yoga is meant to be really good for stress releif, and don't drink any tea, coffee, or cola ect before bed.

These are my thoughts on the subject.

I hope i was of help to you.

Take care.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

Happy Days HB User

I think some doctors are too quick to prescribe antidepressants to every patient that comes to them for depression. There are very mild cases of depression that may not need medication and then there are severe major depressive disorders that do require antidepressants.

It sounds like you were going through typical life changes that most young people encounter once they graduate high school. Relationships change and deciding college versus working are the norm.

Talk with your therapist about your concerns or seek the advice of another therapist. You may be able to work out your issues with talk therapy on both individual and group along with journaling and relaxation exercises. I am a believer in medications for depression but not in every instance, especially when you feel your depression is not that severe.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
(female)

ladyjo HB User

I too am unsure if I am depressed, sounds similar to you, tired most of the time, although I do work hard at home and work, stressful job etc. I also have other feelings, intrusive thoughts about life in general, however, I don't really feel down, just find it difficult to keep on going, despite being on Citalopram for the last five years. Maybe we are depressed but I feel there are lots of people who could probably do with our help. Do we really need a lable? I am sure you are on the site for the same reason, we are self helping really, dont you think. I hope this has helped a little.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:29 PM   #5
(female)

Calamity3039 HB User

Thanks to all who replied, it put things into a clearer picture. I recently also called my mom and told her about everything that has gone on in the past month, and I really valued her opinion because she know me best. She was baffled the they diagnosed me with depression. I told her the reason they thought I was depressed was because I have low energy and I have an odd sleep pattern(I know its not insomnia, I sleep the recommended amount it just that I can't get alseep until 2-6 am) and she told me that my sleep has been the same ever since I was a small child. And that I have low energy because I have a bad diet and I don't exercise. SO, that made me start thinking.

Now, I don't think I truely am depressed. I think the things I am going through are typical life changes. I think I am unhappy though, and that is completely different from depression. I think I am unhappy because I have a lot of goals and ideas of what I want to do with my life, but for some reason I am hesitant. I don't really like college. Not the institute itself, it just that I don't want to wait around for four year to earn a degree that may not be worth anything by the time I graduate. And most of the things I want to do in life are self-starter type things.

Last edited by Calamity3039; 12-11-2006 at 02:30 PM.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity3039
When I was taking the citalopram I didn't really feel too many benefits from it. It made me feel good the first week then no effects at all. It just made me even more tired and I slept a lot. I'm just confused. I don't think I have depression,but then again it could be denial. Any thoughts?
Hi there,

Sounds like your mom gave you some perspective that helps some.

I quoted the above to say that you were probably on the intial dose (10-20 mg.?) but were not moved up on the dose, right? That's why it helped the first week. After that it was time for an increase to an effective dose. Even if you are just unhappy, the citalopram may help, as it seems it did to start with.

Young adulthood is full of choices and ....like social yardsticks, that if you find yourself on your own path off the beaten track it can have you questioning yourself and kind of lost. So are you a "just do it" kind of person, liking to do things that are more hands on or active rather than think-y in your head stuff? What kind of business interests you?

Old 12-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #7
(female)

Calamity3039 HB User

Well, I was on 20 mg and the first week it just but me in an overtly exstatic mood. Which was good, and I didn't expect to have that mood all the time. But after that first week I felt the same as if I weren't on medication at all. When I went to talk to the doctor on my last appointment she said I was in a good place with the medication. I asked about upping the dosage, but she said it wasn't necessary and gave me two more months perscriptions.

Currently I am more interest in endeavors outside of school. I wanted to start a local music magazine. Its a college town and I have everything accessible to me to get it started. I had a plans all drawn out this past August and had a popular band in the area already give me an interview and agreed to be on the cover, but had to focus more on school. That was what I was going to do to get started. Next was going to be managing bands, opening a club in the area, and trying to open a recording studio. Most of the things I am interested are things I have to start on my own. Even after I graduate college I will be starting them on my own.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #8
(male)

parveen HB User

hey.....i have found a gr8 information on depression,its natural treatments & some good facts regarding it on [url]http://www.nature-ally.com[/url]

Last edited by parveen; 12-11-2006 at 10:44 PM.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Calamity, when I was suffering from anxiety I went to my university's mental health service to speak with a therapist and there wasn't one available so I spoke to a psychiatrist instead. He asked me if I wanted any meds and I said no. I knew that I didn't need meds, I just needed to figure out my issues and solve them. I did. If you don't feel that you need meds don't feel that you have to take them. Good luck to you and I hope that you figure out what YOU need to do. As I was reading your post it reminded of Bill Gates who dropped out of college to pursue his dreams. I went to college in "pieces". I got an associates degree out of high school to earn a living and then went back to school a decade later to get my Bachelor's and Master's.

Closed Thread