It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
(male)

son1981 HB User
Thumbs down caffeine must make depression worse

HELLO

Am i the only one that finds caffeine mixed with SSRI meds makes the meds not work as well? THus creating more depression episodes???

I cant be the only 1

IM QUITTING FOR GOOD !

Old 12-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: caffeine must make depression worse

Caffine is a stimulant and it effects your anxiety level which in turn effects your depression level. I stopped drinking coffee a few months ago and to be quite honest I do not see the difference but that is probaly just me.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
(male)

son1981 HB User

I feel so horrible and unfuncation you would think 80 of prozac should be saving me

Old 12-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User

I stopped taking caffeine (soda) abruptly a few years ago and haven't tried it with any anti-depressant, so I can't comment on the effects, but what most people don't realize is that caffeine can be a dangerous drug.

Scientifically, caffeine is a stimulant, in the same class of drugs as amphetamine, methamphetamine, cocaine, etc.. and it has been linked to mental illnesses (I don't think I'm allowed to post links to studies? Use Google).

It causes you to lower your inhibitions and.. basically does the same thing most other stimulants do, but on a much smaller scale (depending on the dose).

In fact, in low doses, caffeine is very similar to low doses of cocaine.. all these drugs affect your brain chemicals, so it's not far fetched that it would have an affect on your medication or mental state.

Like most everything else, keep it in moderation or don't take it at all, 'cause the stuff ain't good for neither your body, nor mind.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:01 AM   #5
(female)

skykate HB User

i used to be addicted to caffeine.
during my school days, i took upto 3 cups per day just to keep awake

one day i got so tired of being addicted that i decided to quit it. how did i do it ? by exercising. do lots of aerobic exercises (like jogging, swimming) - its a preventive cure for many illnesses which will break out sooner or later when we sit on our butts for too long

Old 12-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Poison -

I'm currently coming off of Prozac, presently at 30mg from 40. I can't drink caffeinated beverages with it at all (never could), not even a sip, or else I can't sleep. I take my meds in the morning, too, go figure. Chocolate seems to be okay, though, unless I eat too much, especially brownies. As far as depression, I do find that when I overload on the brownies (I love brownies), when I come down from the high, I "crash" pretty bad. It can get ugly because at that point I become 'crabby' depressed.

Last edited by kittywitty; 12-13-2006 at 04:11 PM.

Closed Thread