It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

Arkayngyl HB User
Buspar..anyone Tired This For Depression?

Hi all,
My Neuro Doctor just prescribed me BusPar 7.5mg twice daily.
I was wondering if anyone has tried BusPar for anxiety and depression

If so, has it worked for you? Any side effects you have experienced?

Thank,
Sabrina

Last edited by Arkayngyl; 12-14-2006 at 04:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2006, 06:18 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User
Re: Buspar..anyone Tired This For Depression?

Buspar is a slow-acting antianxiety, not related to benzo-type antianxiety meds. It isn't for depression as far as I know, which means it will relieve your anxiety but feelings of depression won't change (except you won't feel anxious so that may help). When you stop the buspar, it may all come back. An antidepressant, on the other hand, can treat anxiety and depression and they are less likely to return when you taper off. It's worth a try...may not be "the" answer. Just see how it goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

The above poster is correct that buspar is normally prescribed for anxiety. It is also sometimes prescribed to "augment" an antidepressant when anxiety is present, too.

Is this the only med that you will be taking?

How severe is your depression? If it isn't terribly severe, it may be that your doctor suspects that your anxiety may be causing your depression. Anxiety is exhausting, after all.

Last edited by index.html; 12-15-2006 at 11:25 AM.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
(female)

cecropia HB User

I've read in research that Buspar was originally considered to be released as an antidepressant, but the dosage had to be 60mg. or higher to work effectively and early in treatment, so it was released as an anxiety med instead. A lot of patients had trouble getting up to such a high dose in the beginning. A dr. I know also agreed that was true. If you can afford to wait 6 months for the buspar to build up in your system a great deal it will eventually work on depression, but most patients want a much quicker result and who wouldn't?

I take buspirone, the generic, 30mg. a day and it does eventually bring me out of my depression as well as my anxiety. I like buspar because it has never given me troubling side effects and so because I don't have to hold down a job or take care of young children during my relapses I can afford to wait it out and I have never had trouble with stopping the drug after a few years. I usually stay in remission from symtoms for about 3 years also.

If you can afford to wait and your depression is not too severe, give it a chance, I think you will like it. If you are on the generic you might want to increase the dosage. I've heard from many that the generic is not as strong as the name brand. Of course, ask your doctor first. I'm on my third time around using buspar over 15yrs. and I still prefer it.

Good luck

Old 12-15-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

Arkayngyl HB User

Hi Cecropia,
Wow sounds like Buspar has worked great for you, I'm so glad to hear the great results from this medication. My depression I personally feel is mild to moderate (middle range) it comes and goes. I do not have depression all the time or at least it's more like it's worse at times then other times...hope that makes since.

Even tho it ws my Neuro who prescribed Buspar for me, I do have an appt. with my shrink this Thursday, gona talk to him about this Buspar and see what he thinks. I'll let ya know what he says.

You mentioned that you had no withdrawals when you stopped the Buspar, am I correct on this? or did ya have to wing off the drug?

Thanks for posting,
Sabrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecropia
I've read in research that Buspar was originally considered to be released as an antidepressant, but the dosage had to be 60mg. or higher to work effectively and early in treatment, so it was released as an anxiety med instead. A lot of patients had trouble getting up to such a high dose in the beginning. A dr. I know also agreed that was true. If you can afford to wait 6 months for the buspar to build up in your system a great deal it will eventually work on depression, but most patients want a much quicker result and who wouldn't?

I take buspirone, the generic, 30mg. a day and it does eventually bring me out of my depression as well as my anxiety. I like buspar because it has never given me troubling side effects and so because I don't have to hold down a job or take care of young children during my relapses I can afford to wait it out and I have never had trouble with stopping the drug after a few years. I usually stay in remission from symtoms for about 3 years also.

If you can afford to wait and your depression is not too severe, give it a chance, I think you will like it. If you are on the generic you might want to increase the dosage. I've heard from many that the generic is not as strong as the name brand. Of course, ask your doctor first. I'm on my third time around using buspar over 15yrs. and I still prefer it.

Good luck

Old 12-15-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
(female)

Arkayngyl HB User

Hi index.html,
Well I asked about Buspar being an anitdepressant because after me doctor gave me the script, I came home and did a search on it and it said it was for depression as well.

Being my Neuro doctor is the one who prescribed this med for me I will be seeing my shrink this Thursday and will ask him what he thinks about Buspar and if he feels it would work for my anxiety and depression. If he agrees then heck I might as well give it a try, what do I got to lose here!
I would say my depression is mild to moderate (middle range)...I've been diagnosed with Clincial Depression 5 years ago. My shrink prescribed me several antidepressants over the 5 years and all make me feel so spaced out or bad I refused to take them after the second day of being on them.

I also understand (or read) that antidepressants do not replace the imbalance, what it does do is fool the brain into thinking it has the correct levels of chemicals to function. I will have to pull up that web site for you to read but gotta look for it in my favs. and will post it.....hope it's ok to post it too! I've also read that long term use of anitdepressants do damage to the brain, ever heard of that before? What your input on that?

Found the web site:
[url]http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/toxicity-brain-damage.htm[/url]

Thanks for you post,
Sabrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by index.html
The above poster is correct that buspar is normally prescribed for anxiety. It is also sometimes prescribed to "augment" an antidepressant when anxiety is present, too.

Is this the only med that you will be taking?

How severe is your depression? If it isn't terribly severe, it may be that your doctor suspects that your anxiety may be causing your depression. Anxiety is exhausting, after all.

Last edited by Arkayngyl; 12-15-2006 at 05:04 PM.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
(female)

cecropia HB User

hi ayngyl,
I would be interested to hear what your shrink has to say about buspar. I've been studying buspar on my own for 15 years since the first time I went on it. I am always looking for the latest information I can find and so far nothing I have found out has scared me into not wanting to take it. After I've been on buspirone for about 8 months at a high dose I have always been successful at going down to a maintenance dose of about 5mg. every other day and it has worked that way for me twice before and then after about three years of doing that, I quit altogether. The reason I stay on it so long is I still need it but at a much lower dose.

In answer to your question of how I come off. I do taper the dose gradually even though all the clinical trials state that it is not habit forming and has no withdrawal issues. I have never had any withdrawal symtoms at all during the tapering. I just skip a dose hear and there for a couple of weeks and then skip another dose and so on until I'm taking it every other day or so at once a day. It usually takes about two months to get down to where I want to be after I start tapering. I hope this is not too confusing. I'm not sure I want to come off this time, I may stay on a maintenance dose indefinitely if it keeps working. I hate the relapses. The longest I've heard anyone post in other forums that has been on buspar, is 15yrs. at a steady dose and they were not having any problems as yet with brain damage etc.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #8
(female)

cecropia HB User

Just bumping this up in hopes ayngyl will let us know what her doctor had to say about Buspar/buspirone. I think this is the Thursday she said she was going to get another opinion about taking it for depression.

I did find out that Buspar was used as an antidepressant in Europe and had been around there for 20yrs. before being introduced in the states as an anxiety med. Twenty yrs. in Europe and about twenty in the U.S. would mean the drug has been around for 40yrs. now.

Because I take the drug I'm always interested to know any new information an different opinions of doctors on the drug.

Hope to hear from you ayngyl.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:04 PM   #9
(female)

Arkayngyl HB User

Hi Cecropia,
Well I had to re-schedule my appointment to the 3rd of January.
I had insomnia so badly and was up for almost 24 hours. So I called my shrink and told him what was going on and his nurse made me another appt.

I do plan on asking him about the BuSpar. I have also read that this drug is for depression and anxiety/panic attacks. The part I read on this drug is that it can also cause depression to be worse, I'm sure that is in rare cases tho.

I just have a horrible time with meds and them not working the way they are suppose to, dunno why this happens to me but it does.

I will post as soon as I see him on the 3rd of January and letyou know what he said about BuSpar.

Thanks for posting.
Sabrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecropia
Just bumping this up in hopes ayngyl will let us know what her doctor had to say about Buspar/buspirone. I think this is the Thursday she said she was going to get another opinion about taking it for depression.

I did find out that Buspar was used as an antidepressant in Europe and had been around there for 20yrs. before being introduced in the states as an anxiety med. Twenty yrs. in Europe and about twenty in the U.S. would mean the drug has been around for 40yrs. now.

Because I take the drug I'm always interested to know any new information an different opinions of doctors on the drug.

Hope to hear from you ayngyl.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #10
(female)

cecropia HB User

Sorry to hear you are not getting any sleep. That's the worst when you can't sleep!

Will be looking for your post. Thanks

Old 12-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #11
(female)

cecropia HB User

Sorry to hear you are not getting any sleep. That's the worst when you can't sleep!

Old 12-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
(female)

cecropia HB User

Old 12-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #13
(female)

cecropia HB User

Old 12-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #14
(female)

cecropia HB User

Old 12-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #15
(female)

cecropia HB User

Closed Thread