It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 06:03 AM   #1
(female)

muaythaigirl193 HB User
Depression medication and pregnanacy

Hi,
Could someone please give me some advice, i ama currently being tretaed for depression and unfortuneatly have go tmyslef into a bit of a pickle!!
I am feeling much better but have only been on mediaction for about two months!!! I maybe pregant,not completely sure yet but was wondering what happens if i am?
Will my medication effect the baby? I do not want to have a termination so i will be going forward with the pregnancy,however it concerns me that i may just have to stop my treatment? Any advice would really be apprecaited.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User
Re: Depression medication and pregnanacy

Hi

First of all, don't stop your medication suddenly. HAve you seen a doctor yet, about possibly being pregnant? If not, find an OB and start getting your prenatal visits. Tell them about your depression etc.

Research says that depression during pregnancy can be a risk factor, as might medication. That said, I know quite a few moms who have been on antidepressants from conception through their pregnancies, and postpartum. They have had good outcomes.

Massachusetts General Hospital women's has good information about such things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
(female)

blu moon HB User

Hi there,

I've recently had a baby and been on a d's throughout the preg. The view my GP took was that it would have been more detrimental to my health to stop taking them than it would have been to the baby. Nevertheless i was worried, would the baby be ok? would it be addicted to a d's etc But i gave birth to a healthy 7lb baby boy in July, he's perfect and I even managed to breast feed him whilst still taking my meds. Hope this eases your mind a bit. Hope everything goes well for you

Old 01-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
(female)

kamuta HB User
Question Re: Depression medication and pregnanacy

I have been on depression medication since past 2 years. My first delivery was in 2002. I was not on medication then. If I want to plan for the second baby now, what should I anticipate? So concerned about the pregnancy... Any advice?

Old 01-18-2008, 11:51 PM   #5
(female)

lv2srf HB User

Hi there,

Ready for considering a next baby? Scary to think about again, isn't it, no matter what.

Most of the antidepressants are considered reasonable choices during pregnancy. But it is better to be on a med that works for you than to fall into depression or anxiety while you're pregnant. Shaila Misri, in BC Canada (an international expert and psychiatrist) says the best med for a mom is the one that works or has worked in the past.

Yes, there is a ranked order of the SSRIs but even some of that order has changed in the last years. But Dr. Misri's "one that worked for mom" tops the ranked ordered list.

hth

Closed Thread