It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
(female)

kkkittykat HB User
Staying off antidepressants

Has anyone gone off and stayed off their antidepressants? I was on Prozac for 6 years, after the first 3 years I found out I was Hypothyroid and that was most likely the cause of my depression all along. I was unable to get off and stay off Prozac for very long, always went back on. This time it has been 2 months since I have weaned off of it. The past few weeks have been bad- very irritable and that's a bad thing cause I work in a Day care with little kids alllll day. I want so bad to not go back on antidepressants and just work toward getting my thyroid meds level. I hate the numbness I feel while on Prozac, but also hate the irritability I feel when not on it. Does anyone Know if the irritability is still a symptom of withdrawl since it's just been two months?

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: Staying off antidepressants

It could be. I'm still irritable 2 years after going off everything -- although it started more as rage, and now is more like irritability -- so it continues to get better as time goes on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

kkkittykat HB User

Well I gave in today and started the prozac again. I felt like I was dying and felt I had no choice. I hate that I could not make it without it. Maybe if I did not work I could have made it through this time of transition. It's been 2 months since I weaned off I don't understand why now I am having withdrawl symptoms. Now I have to wait for this stuff to start working, right now I feel so helpless

karen

Old 12-18-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's hard to get off those drugs and push through the withdrawals. It took me over a year for a lot of the symptoms to start easing up. I'm still dealing with a lot of symptoms, but they do continue to lessen over time.

I think these drugs really do a number on our brains and it takes a long time for the body to heal and re-adjust after stopping them.

Take care.

SOE

Closed Thread