It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
GP, Psychologist or Psychiatrist

I didn't want to add to this thread [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=453103[/url] for fear of it getting too long (what is too long, btw?). I am going to try to find a doctor tomorrow to help me with my depression. If I do need to go on a leave from work, which type of doctor needs to fill out paperwork for that? Could my GP fill out the forms to have me take a leave due to depression or does it have to be a psychiatrist? Or can a psychologist fill out the forms? I am having a hard time dealing with all this, is this a sign of depression?

Thanks Again!

Old 12-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User
Re: GP, Psychologist or Psychiatrist

Hi,

I think you can get a note from your GP and that would cover it. They don't even have to be specific about it being depression, I don't think.
Yes, depression makes decision-making harder. Are you seeing all 3 kinds of doctors, taking meds, and talking to someone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms***z
Are you seeing all 3 kinds of doctors, taking meds, and talking to someone?
Well, not really, I did see a Social Worker that our EAP recommended. I just discovered I have a problem (depression, anxiety, panic???) that is affecting my work... see my other thread about Depression and Work... I need to see someone else, but I have a mental block about making an appointment, and I travel alot for work and can't seem to find the time (I know, excuses). I leave tomorrow for a work trip and get back Friday, and it's very hard for me to make appts when I'm away since I'm with a client every day. I am either very depressed or burned out... could they be the same thing?

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-17-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

Hi again,

You mentioned in the other thread that you have a week off at Christmas and kind of hoped to maybe get an appointment during that week, with the psychiatrist. There is often about a month-long wait to get in to see one.

So. Make the earliest appointment possible with the psychiatrist, but meanwhile find a GP to see asap. A GP can diagnose you, get you started with meds if needed (and it does sound like they will help) and this will cover you until you get to the psychiatrist. The SW is there to help, so lean on her as well. It may help to see a career counselor, or a psychologist. Just get started, and things will play out the way they do.

Honestly, I turned 180 degrees once I got on a med (or 2 or 3), and in a fairly short time. That doesn't mean the next while after that was a cakewalk, by any means. Just get started to give yourself the best.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks ms***z, I was able to make an appointment for a few days after Christmas with my GP. He gave me Wellbutrin a few months ago to help with quitting smoking, it helped with the smoking but not the depression. I'm going to talk to him about the anxiety and depression I have and hopefully he can recommend someone. I was given Celexa a few years ago (by a different doctor) when I was going through a divorce, I don't think I was depressed then but I did like the Celexa, it make me feel like I could do anything! Maybe I'll talk to him about this drug.

I actually feel better that I am starting to do something about my problems.

Why doesn't the "***" in your name display??? LOL, that's funny... that doesn't seem to be a curse word or anything.

Last edited by SanyBelle; 12-18-2006 at 06:33 PM.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

Well, there ya go. You're feeling self-empowered because you are taking some steps to get you back to being you again. That's a lot when you feel like kaka.

It really helps to already know of a med, like Celexa, that has worked in the past. That normally should be the first med of choice. Mention the part about feeling like you could do anything, while you were taking it, to your doc when you get there. At least you could start there, and see if a psychiatrist has other ideas etc., but you'll have yourself on the way to feeling like yourself again.

I have no clue about the name thing...is b-i-z seen as shorthand for business, as if one were to be promoting some product on here or something? It's supposed to read "ms. b-i-z ee", ms busy.

Closed Thread