It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User
Question why read?

My counselor thinks i need to read more. WHY? has anyone else had this suggestion. i dont' like to read and told my counselor this. but she thinks i need to read more anyways. i looked at the 2 new books she suggested and dont' want to read either one. i just find reading aggrevating and i'm not good at it. i also find it a waste of time. (i guess it depends on what you read though).

came home today and was so worked up i sat in the bathroom crying again. banging the back of my head on the wall a little. thats silly i know. i'm in my 40's and act like a kid. well, whatever.....i'm sure someone out there can relate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: why read?

Reading helps to stimulate the brain in a positive way. Guess the doctor thinks that will help you.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2006, 06:28 AM   #3
(male)

endy HB User

when i'm too depressed, i can't focus and its quite impossible to read. i go for walks instead. get some fresh air, hope to break the racing thoughts.

i guess reading is just one of the ways to help, that's why your counsellor suggested it. if it works for you, great. otherwise put it aside and try something else which you have more affinity for. take care.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:04 AM   #4
(male)

KimyReizeger HB User

I think reading is good because it offers an intimacy and 'escape' unmatched by television. Like wearing headphones instead of listening to speakers; you get inside the characters.
You probably shouldn't worry if you have problems with the books you've been given; what moves someone else doesn't necessarily do anything for you. Maybe just hit the 'best-seller' rack of any bookshop for universally appreciated texts.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Mokie -

What are the books that she recommended to you about? You say that you're not good at reading. What about a book on tape?

Last edited by kittywitty; 12-18-2006 at 07:15 PM.

Closed Thread