It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2006, 06:13 AM   #1
(male)

RedMan1972 HB User
Natural Suuplements

I didn't want to combine this with my antipressants and weight gain question, so here it goes. Does anyone use or has anyone tried any types of natural supplements for depression that work just as good as the medications prescribed?

Thanks!

Old 12-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User
Re: Natural Suuplements

I've tried some.

St. John's Wort--did nothing at all for me. Don't start this if you are considering antidepressants any time soon as it can interact apparently, in a bad way.

Stuff that did help for mild depression:
Exercise
Therapy
Light therapy (30 min /day morning sunlight gives vitamin D, improves mood)

I took all of these together:
Omega-3 supplements (affects brain chemistry) or fish oil
B6, B12, complex (Solaray brand has a time release B complex)
folic acid
calcium & magnesium (1000/400 mg.)

That said, none of the above made as much difference in as short a time and consistently as my antidepressant. With medical/prescription coverage it was cheaper than the vitamins.

hth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
(male)

Breezes HB User

Fish oil works for me. I think taking a multi vitamin and mineral is good. Vitamin D and folate are thought to be helpful for depression.

I've tried a lot of alternative supplements. Many had side effects and none of them worked. There are a lot of unknowns with these products, and finding good information is not easy. The lack of regulation here is a problem. Two of the supplements that I took were in the news after I tried them. Kava Kava was linked to liver toxicity. Evening Primrose oil was tested and it didn't match what was on the label. Results varied from brand to brand. The recommended dose on the labels of these products seems high to me.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User

St johns wort helped me with a bout of depression i had when i was 15. Although didn't help with the depression i have now which is more major. Breezes made a good point saying that these supplements can cause damage to the body and there hasn't been enough testing to prove the long term effects of prolonged use of these drugs.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
(female)

bloodyhell HB User

I am not convinced that the promotion of drugs and the suspicions of supplements is not just a very expensive campaign to encourage us to take the targeted product. For example, the study that discredited St. John's Wort was financed by a drug company. The long term effects of psychotropic drugs are also not known. Unfortunately, we take these things with the mistaken impression that they are not harmful. There have been many drugs taken off the market years after they were heralded as being wonder drugs, removed because of their dangerous effects.

I take 5-HTP for depression. It's a precursor to serotonin, found naturally in some foods. I have never had ill effects from it. Also, I take a homeopathic product v-C 15 by Dr. Reckeweg.

Daily exercise, sunlight, vitamins, minerals, avoidance of alcohol, carbohydrates, caffeine--it all adds up. It's worth a try.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
(male)

BlueCloudSky4 HB User

I take Wellbutrin and Effexoro daily, and I have added in Serotain (5htp, 18mg 3x per day) and Omega 3 oil with VERY nice results. I find my mood is more balanced, I am more productive and I am less prone to anger. The only negative is that Serotain gives me really bad Insomnia, which is funny as it has a reputation for causing sedation.

Closed Thread