It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Why get off antidepressants?

I am just discovering that I have depression and anxiety. There are alot of threads about people wanting to come off the ADs. Why? I know they are drugs and alot of people want to be drug free but if they truly help, is there harm in staying on them? I'd like to have as much knowledge before I start seeing a doctor. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Why get off antidepressants?

If you look at the side effects of some of the meds out there its easy to see why someone would want to come off of them. For example these are the meds I take and there more severe side effects
1. Zyprexa - May cause diabetes, zombie effect, drowsiness - plus high chance of weight gain
2. Lithium - monthly blood test, too little does not work too much can kill you
3. Temazapam - sleep med, possible liver problems
4. Effexor - Brutal to get off of, again hard on the liver
5. Remeron - weight gain, hard on liver
6. Wellbutrin - possible seizures,

the choice to go on any meds should be done taken very seriously. I have a severe form of major depressive disorder, PTSD, GAD and agorphobia which is why I need to take so many. Lucky for me I do not have to pay for them as it is close to $150 a week. Any take it seriously and really look at the alternative products before diving into the world of meds

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 01:01 AM   #3
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

Many of the anti-depressants commonly prescribed today are relatively new to the market. Long-term side effects of these medications are still unknown. I've been taking melatonin for a few years to help me sleep at night (not an AD - just using it as an example). It became available for OTC use in 1994. My doctor was fine with me using it long-term, though I only use a small dosage. New studies are coming out saying that long-term use of melatonin may lead to fertility problems. Only large doses were tested, but still, it worries me that they're just coming out with this. Just because a doctor prescribes something doesn't mean it's totally safe.

Also, cost - my insurance will only cover half the cost of my AD. I'm fine with taking Lexapro for now. My doctor says it's too early to come up with any long-term plans for going off it. But, it's definitely not something I'm comfortable using long-term.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:42 AM   #4
(female)

kkkittykat HB User

Sunshine,

How long have you been on lexapro? Have you gained weight on it?

Karen

Old 12-19-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkittykat
Sunshine,

How long have you been on lexapro? Have you gained weight on it?

Karen
Karen, I've been on Lexapro for almost three months. I gained 5 lbs., when I moved up from 10mg to 15mg. But, I've been taking 15mg for close to a month now, and haven't gained anymore since that initial 5 lb. gain.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
(female)

bloodyhell HB User

We can't just be dutifully taking something if it makes us feel awful. For me, I tried taking Zoloft for over two months, but the effects were so horrible that I stopped. I became manic--I couldn't sleep, was very hyper, never could calm down, my stomach was constantly hurting, headaches, dry mouth, tremors in my hands. I lost my identity, and was so over the top that I guess I could have been diagnosed as bipolar. I have never been that way before the drug, nor after stopping it. I have since learned lots of other ways, on my own, to deal with my depression. Do your research.

Closed Thread