It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 04:41 AM   #1
(female)

susiekatkin HB User
Unhappy I'm new too

This is the first time I've posted. I have been suffering from depression for eight months now. My poor partner can't handle talking about it. I sit and cry when I'm alone, and I have lost all my confidence. When I go shopping I have to have a family member with me or I just cry in the shops, or on the streets I'm going to lose my job now, because I've been away for so long.

I've told my doctor, and she put me on antidepressents which aren't working. I see a counsellor regularly, but as it is the NHS (UK) it is not often enough. for the last 3 months I've had self-harm thoughts which I hope I won't act upon. I told my doc this too, but she won't refer me to a psychiatrist, even though I've asked.

I found this site after a long long search.... I need to talk to people of a like mind, because I don't want to bring all my family down. Please help!

Old 12-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
(female)

blu moon HB User
Talking Re: I'm new too

Hi there,

I'm fairly new too and I'm usually on the bi polar boards cos that's where my diagnosis is at the mo! I understand your loneliness I have a large family but there's not one person I can talk too about my problems that's why I like coming here

Are there any other doctors at your surgery? Or could you change to another practice? I had a very unsympathetic GP for years he once told me to go and play the lottery to see if that would cheer me up! Needless to say I changed to another practice, I now have a wonderful GP who has bent over backwards to try and get me all the help I need.

Do you have any children? If you do, I find my health visitor a great sounding board!

Take care and keep pushing for that referal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User
Re: I'm new too

suziekat,

Did they ever adjust your dose after you started it? Usually the first dose isn't enough.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
(female)

susiekatkin HB User

My antidepressants have been changed twice, now she says she's going to try me off them. I see my counsellor thursday, perhaps she can intervene. I don't think my gp knows what she is doing.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

A lot of GP really are not qualified to deal with antidepressants. Is it possible to get a referal to a psyciatrist? How long have you been on the last med?

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-20-2006, 02:07 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User

If you are not yet familiar with Cognitive Behavior Therapy CBT), please review some of this information. You can do a search on the Internet about it. Also, do a search on Albert Ellis, who originated Rational Emotive Therapy, which is the precursor to Cognitive Behavior Therapy. It is a very good psycho-educational form of treating depression with lots of good information. If nothing else, it will give you something to read and may spark some insights into your condition. You should still continue to seek professional help; but, CBT is something you can do for yourself.

Closed Thread