It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 05:11 AM   #1
(female)

julie6672 HB User
Christmas

I'm dreading Christmas. I feel the same way every year and I hate it. I know I will try so hard and make out that I am enjoying myself but I know that I will end up spending most of the holiday in bed or curled up somewhere just wanting to be alone. My family have been so patient with me because I know I must be terrible to be with at this time of year but, I just can't help it. This is the time of year when my depression really starts to kick in. I wish I could go to bed and wake up in the new year when it's all over but I know I can't. I have to put on the fake smiles for all my family and pretend I'm having fun when inside I'm crying and I just want to crawl away and die. Sorry guys, I know Christmas should be a happy time and I don't want to bring anyone down. Anyone else feel down at this time of year?
Take care anyway, and try and have a peaceful time this Christmas, my thoughts are with all of you

Old 12-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Christmas

I can not stand Christmas and I do not have any clue why. I am sure as my son ages I will look forward to it more to see the excitement in his eyes but right now I would do the same, sleep through it if I could. We usually have snow right now but this year there is none and the sun is out so that helps some.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

This year I'm struggling. Last year was our first with the kids and I. Last year I enjoyed it. This year I'm not. It feels reeeeeeeeally empty around here, altho nothing has changed much. This year I'm working through the break in a window-less office, and I really think that has made a negative impact. We'll do Christmas breakfast & presents as usual, with their dad, and then again over at his folks house with extended family (it's a little weird, but it works) for dinner, grab bag blah blah blah. we have a tree up but not decorated, and not one gift purchased. And I don't want to go out there and shop in the madness. blech.

yours,

Scrooge

Old 12-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

I feel the same this year, bah humbug! I haven't decorated this year, I haven't bought one present (divorced and no kids). I used to love CHristmas, but this year something has happened to me that I'm not enjoying anything. At least I get the week home instead of being on the road again. I am so sick to my stomach right now, a very nervous feeling, I hate it... I'm in a hotel room and don't want to be here.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:33 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

I also hate Christmas....ANY holiday, for that matter. I hate having my "normal daily routine" upheaved. I hate putting on fake smiles (feels like I'm being 2 people). I hate having my family (parents & siblings) "watch" me, to assess how my behavior is on any given day. Since I started going to a therapist and am finally "coming into who I really am" and have been adressing my upbringing, my family thinks I'm pulling away from them! Can't win.

I try to put on a happy face for my 3 sons. Thankfully, my dear husband "picks up the slack" and continues to make holidays memorable for our boys.

Me.....I hate Christmas.

Last edited by roz5; 12-20-2006 at 02:34 AM.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:44 AM   #6
(male)

jimmyhonda HB User

me too...this year i feel that i can't afford to have christmas. whenever i go to the shopping center and see people carrying big shopping bags, i feel so intimidated and sad.

i use to love christmas in the past, but this year money is tight and the diagnose of osteoarthritis just makes me miserable.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

Here with you all, I know how you feel. This time of year is for a reason, not all the commercial stuff going on, however you celebrate it. It has gotten way out of hand and I have not talked to one solitary person who has said they are looking forward to the holidays! That ought to tell us something. Too much stress!!! I think we make ourselves feel guilty by comparing our lives to all the advertising with how things "should be", and not how they are for us in reality. I just go with the flow and look ahead to January when it's all over and I can breathe!

Old 12-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

I usually enjoy the holidays, but I've spent the past few months trying to recover and get back on track - it's made it difficult to get into the Christmas season. I'm definitely not looking forward to talking to relatives - not all relatives, but a few in particular {See my Holiday Parties thread.}. I've decided to avoid going to my grandparent's Christmas Eve get-together. I know it sounds selfish, but I have to focus on me and do what I can to avoid setbacks. I still plan to see my grandparents later on, and those are the only extended relatives that I'm close to, anyway.

I would take this time to do something you enjoy. It's taken me so long to enjoy ANYTHING. I'm spending the early evening of Christmas Eve at a friend's watching movies. I can spend the rest of the evening with my parents, getting family time in. I know it's hard to put on a happy face with relatives. My parents and close friends don't expect that, so it's only the grandparents that I have to do it for. If you don't enjoy the family stuff, duck out of it early. Spend that time huddled up with a blanket if that's what you need to do.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

I usually enjoy the holidays, but I've spent the past few months trying to recover and get back on track - it's made it difficult to get into the Christmas season. I'm definitely not looking forward to talking to relatives - not all relatives, but a few in particular {See my Holiday Parties thread.}. I've decided to avoid going to my grandparent's Christmas Eve get-together. I know it sounds selfish, but I have to focus on me and do what I can to avoid setbacks. I still plan to see my grandparents later on, and those are the only extended relatives that I'm close to, anyway.

I would take this time to do something you enjoy. It's taken me so long to enjoy ANYTHING. I'm spending the early evening of Christmas Eve at a friend's watching movies. I can spend the rest of the evening with my parents, getting family time in. I know it's hard to put on a happy face with relatives. My parents and close friends don't expect that, so it's only the grandparents that I have to do it for. If you don't enjoy the family stuff, duck out of it early. Spend that time huddled up with a blanket if that's what you need to do.

Closed Thread