It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 06:22 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
celexa and addiction

i have been on celexa for about 2 months. after hearing about people getting very addicted to some of these drugs, i'm feeling a bit aprehensive about continuing taking them. Has anyone here had a hard time coming off celexa with prolonged use?

thanks.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User
Re: celexa and addiction

I think addidicting is used a little haphazardly with these drugs. Yes they can be "addictive" in the way that caffiene is addictive. You're body gets used to a certain level of it....when you stop...your body reacts. With caffiene...most people get a headache for a few days. So in that sense...yes they are probably addicting.

If you run out of this drug will you be breaking into peoples homes to get money to buy it....probably not.

Coming off of these drugs is some that should be done under the care of a doctor. It's different for everyone. If you taper good enough.....you won't feel many symptoms at all. If you just quit...you might get some headaches, dizziness, etc.

You have to weigh the pros and cons I guess..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I have seen alot of celexa postings and do not remember anyone recalling that it was difficult to get off of it. I went from Celexa to Paxil with no break and had no difficulty. Like the previous poster said listen to your doctor and do as they say.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User

i've heard Effexor can have very bad withdrawal effects, and some people wish they never started. I think it's important to think ahead and think about the possiblities of addiction.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

I was on Celexa about 5 years ago and tapered off because if I stopped c/t I would get headaches, eyestrain (I suppose this was a headache) and a bit nauseous. I didn't even know about tapering back then, I just figured that that method would help me stop taking it w/o any side effects. But I need to go back on something again and will suggest Celexa to my doctor since it was a big big help to me back then.

Old 12-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
(female)

jlsp HB Userjlsp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxzoexxx
i have been on celexa for about 2 months. after hearing about people getting very addicted to some of these drugs, i'm feeling a bit aprehensive about continuing taking them. Has anyone here had a hard time coming off celexa with prolonged use?

thanks.
I went from being on Paxil for 8 years to Celexa 8 months ago. I am now slowly weaning myself off and am now down to 10 mg. every 4 days. I tried to wean myself off in various different ways and got horrid side effects such as vomiting, dizziness, uncontrolable treamors, and a feeling of panic and disorientation. If you research celexa, or any other SSRI, you will see that these drugs are highly addictive, especially after prolonged use. I have spoken to several celexa users and they wish they had never started the drug. This also goes for lexapro and paxil users. The only reason I am on celexa is because I was unable to wean off of paxil. The side effects were too debilitating. But this is not saying antidepressants didn't help me, because at the time I needed them, they helped. My house burned down in 1997 and I experienced horrid post tramatic symptoms about fire, so my doc put me on paxil. But after several months, I was unable to withdraw. Since then I have had several crisis with the death of my mom and my daughter recently, and I believe the celexa helped me get through those issues. But I wish now I had tried to deal with the post tramatic disorder in another way and had never been introduced to anti depressants. Good luck on your decision.

Closed Thread