It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

leasarenay HB User
Are There Any AntiDepressants W/no Sexual Side Effects

Are there any anti depressants (besides welbutrin) that cause not sexual side effects. I take them and loose my libido almost immediately.
Thanks

Old 12-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
(female)

Calamity3039 HB User
Re: Are There Any AntiDepressants W/no Sexual Side Effects

I didn't have any sexual side effects on citalopram. But everybody is different.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
(male)

okletsgo HB User

apperantly doctors said that antidepressants dont cause the sexual side effects and if they do its only in the first two weeks or so.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

On Lexapro, my sexual drive has actually increased. The downer is that it takes longer to orgasm. My doctor said that Lexapro is known to have few side effects overall, compared to other SSRI's. I'm sure it also varies from person to person.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
(male)

BlueCloudSky4 HB User

Wellbutrin is just as effective (if not more) than the SSRI/SNRI antidepressants and is actually a drug that has a side effect of increased libido. Many doctors will RX this med to someone who is having trouble with sex because of other meds. It's worth talking to your Dr. if you can handle stimulants (as this antidepressant acts as a mild stimulant, much like Ritalin, as well)

Old 12-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
(male)

Corey C HB User

remeron doesn't have any sexual side effects, but does make you want to eat like a horse and then sleep for days. But you could have some sex.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

Wellbutrin is just as effective (if not more) than the SSRI/SNRI antidepressants and is actually a drug that has a side effect of increased libido. Many doctors will RX this med to someone who is having trouble with sex because of other meds. It's worth talking to your Dr. if you can handle stimulants (as this antidepressant acts as a mild stimulant, much like Ritalin, as well)

I've heard if you have anxiety at all, though, Wellbutrin isn't good because it can make anxiety worse. Anxiety and depression often go hand in hand - many people who have depression also have anxiety and don't realize it. My aunt took it and had a nervous breakdown, though I'm not sure what the exact circumstances were (she also drinks alcohol, which in conjunction with Wellbutrin, may've caused it). But, I have a friend who was prescribed Wellbutrin to help him stop smoking - he did fine with it - just got an energy boost. I'm not sure how much he took though - I'm guessing a small dose. He didn't have depression or anxiety. The no weight gain or sexual side effects attract people to Wellbutrin, but I've rarely heard of anyone having a good experience with it. I'm guessing that's because a lot of doctors ignore anxiety when prescribing AD's or misdiagnose the patient. Just wanted to offer a word of warning about Wellbutrin. I don't want to discourage anyone from taking it - I'm sure many people do fine with it, but just be aware that stimulants aren't good for many people dealing with depression.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:41 AM   #8
(female)

Jennifer92465 HB User

Sorry...I have been on different anti-depressants over the past 15 years (Prozac, Serzone, Effexor, Elavil) and they all affected my libido...I not only didn't have any desire to have sex but when I did, could not reach the finish line. Very frustrating. I have since gone off the A.D.s and am trying to work through the depression (it is a struggle) but it has helped to improve my marriage that I once again desire my husband.

Closed Thread