It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
(female)

asanayesu HB User
Antidepressants and Insomnia

I have been on Zoloft for about 6 months and I feel fantastic! This is my first time on an antidepressant. I have even lost about 17 pounds because the taking the Zoloft decreases my appeptite. My only complaint is that I cannot sleep! I am sure it is the zoloft because I have ruled out everything else and the insonmia started when I started taking the Zoloft. My doctor has prescribed Trazodone and Rozerem---The Rozerem did not work and neither did the Trazodone. I have taken Melantonin, OTC sleep aids ....nothing works. I believe I do doze off when I go to bed eventually, but it does not feel like a restful sleep, and its difficult to fall asleep. I am now taking nothing except I am trying to consistently take the Melatonin to see if it will eventually help. I am going to make an appt. with my Doctor soon. I just do not want to come off of the Zoloft. I take 100mg in the early AM. Zoloft has been a miracle drug for me. I have motivation, energy, and I do not feel depressed. I am also in counseling and I exercise when I get a chance. I stick consistently to a bed time and wake-up time, except for maybe on Saturdays. I use to love to take naps also, but the Zoloft does not even allow me to nap...which is good because I am trying to sleep at night
Does anyone have any suggestions???? I need some sleep. I always feel tired and groggy in the AM and its hard for me to get out of the bed to go to work..which has caused me to be late at times.

Last edited by asanayesu; 12-20-2006 at 12:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Re: Antidepressants and Insomnia

Congratulations on finding the right med for you! So many are not as lucky on the first try. I sympathize with your sleep delima. I go through that every night! I have no problem falling asleep, it's staying asleep; plus I'm a very light sleeper. It seems like a million and one thoughts start going through my head! What I need to do, who to call, what's going on at work, etc. I have no answers but hopefully your doctor will provide something at your next visit. One thing I do use is lavender linen spray, or a combination of something with lavender. It's supposed to have a calming, relaxing effect. I swear by it on helping me relax and fall asleep when I awake in the middle of the night. A few sprays on my pillow and sheets seems to get me dozing off again. Just a suggestion. Warm milk, reading a boring book, relaxing sounds. Good luck.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
(female)

DKScully HB UserDKScully HB User
Re: Antidepressants and Insomnia

I am in a similar situation. Lexapro works for me, but caused some insomnia (though I wasn't sleeping super great to begin with). I tried Elavil (aka Amptryptiline), Klonopin (clonazapan), and Ambien. Ambien gave me a horrible panic attack. At any rate, I have been on Lunesta for a while and it's definitely the best. It feels more "natural" than other sleep aids. It doesn't knock you out, but you still sleep. Also, I was given lorazepam to take along with it, as needed. That stuff TOTALLY knocks you out, but it's supposedly very addictive, so I don't take it much. Hope this helps!

Closed Thread