It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User
Question Shop Therapy

No, I don't mean "shock" therapy, but shop therapy. Does anyone have the urge to go shopping when they're depressed? I guess maybe this is a sign I'm feeling better because for awhile, I didn't want to do anything but lay around. Lately I have the desire to shop all the time. I know I'm doing better overall since being on AD's for a few months, but I do go through negative spells. Like today, my bird died. It's actually my parents' bird, but it likes my company the most, and I became attached to that bird.

But, I guess, to block out these feelings, I've been searching for clothes online. It makes me feel guilty, but if I sit and think about my bird, I get teary. I haven't been spending a lot of money, or buying excessively, though I have bought several articles of clothing in the past few months and spent more on presents than usual. I justify it by remembering that I worked up until almost December (though not steadily in one job) and have some spare money. Since I moved in with my parents this fall, I haven't had expenses. Of course, I want to be out on my own soon - I hope to find a job after the holidays. But, it shouldn't be too hard to get the money for an apartment soon, since cost of living is so low here. It's just being able to handle the job, which I'm unsure about since the last job I got into, I ended up leaving. So, I still feel guilty just for spending the money. I've taken up a new, cheaper, hobby - baking. It has helped me keep occupied enough so that I can at least put on hold buying a couple shirts that I've had my eye on. But, now I have a batch of Chex Mix that I have no desire to eat, and tins of cookies that I don't know what to do with. What are your strange ways of dealing with depression?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

upnip HB User
Re: Shop Therapy

You stated that you moved back in with your parents this past fall. It is now December so, it is a good estimate to say that you have been living at home for maybe 2 or 3 months. And in that time you have become attatched to their pet bird, who has just perished. What type of relationship did you have with this winged animal? Was it a very social bird? I am struggling to envision a situation where a bond can form between a bird and human in 2 to 3 months that will cause depressive episodes when broken.

It is astonishing to me that your generation (of which I am a member) having problems such as these. I look my grandparent's generation, who survived the stock market crash of the 1930's eating potatoes and crumbs and a world war that claimed 50 million people and I wonder how they got through it. Here we are on the internet 60 years later talking about "shop therapy". My how wimpy we have become.

Depression may not be your problem. A lack of responsibility and general fortitude may be. This forum is for people to get help with depression disorder and health problems; not, "oh my god I need shoes to make me happy, like what is going on with me??.....ehh I don't know, lets go get starbucks"

Old 12-22-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

I went through several bad events in a short time span, which I've discussed here before, that triggered my depression. Depression and mental illness also run in my family. My cousin and two uncles commited suicide, and I also had suicidal thoughts and visions to the point of admitting myself to a hospital. You have no clue what I've been through. You get all your information from one paragraph I posted here, yet think you can make harsh judgments like that? I would think if you had depression, you'd be a little more sensitive. I'm a very responisible person - put myself through college, in fact, before I came down with depression. So, you should keep your comments to yourself, as it's obvious you have no clue about my life and what I've gone through.

Parrots live a long time - it's not 2 or 3 months time that I've formed an attachment to this bird. My grandma had him for years, and my parents later adopted it. They've had him several years, including the time I was living with them before I started college. Again, you obviously don't have the knowledge about my life to make these statements, which even if you did, would still be quite ridiculous statements.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-07-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

Also, with animal attachment - I also have a kitty cat, Mae, that I care about more than I do most humans. Animals can be a great source of comfort. I think Mae could sense that I was feeling especially sad today - she let me pick her up and hold her tight without even back-kicking me or struggling to get down. Having an armful of kitty to hold onto makes life a little better sometimes. Of course, as humans, we are drawn to make contact with other humans, but I think my cat gives off more compassion and warmth than most of my family members (though they're working on it). I've had her 4years, and she's part of the family. Petting your cat makes you live longer, too. Animal attachment is a very positive thing.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

I spent a long time not moving forward because every little thing in life felt like it was setting me back a few steps. Do you feel like that ever?

Yes, I feel like that sometimes. The bird's death in and of itself would not be a big blow, but in combination with everything else I've experienced, it's different - it just seems like things go wrong for me all the time lately. When my apartment was robbed, it was just material things, but in a way, I lost everything. As a young woman, I'm afraid to live out on my own again. I still get nightmares and feel my heart racing when I hear the door creak at night. I don't have the sense of security or trust that I had before. This is in combination with my aunt's stroke, a scare where I thought I was pregnant and my boyfriend's subsquent leaving me after 3 years, graduating school and having to move and find work - all at the same time basically. This was a few months ago, and I am doing better, but it seems like there are more negative things coming along than positives. I'm always bracing myself for something bad, as a protective instinct. Even if it's just a small bump in the road, I take it as just more negativity in my life. Part of that is the depression, I believe - my warped thinking. I've got to just keep hoping that there are good things in store. I think part of the reason I'm gravitating toward shopping and cooking is that these activities get me thinking about the future. I can plan meals, and put together outfits for events coming up.

Closed Thread