It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #1
(female)

insrchofpeace HB User
How does therapy help you?

I was in therapy on and off during college. I have been in therapy again since March 06. How is it supposed to help? I like talking with an impartial party about my problems, and having somewhere to unload, but other than that I don't feel any closer to feeling better or getting out of therapy.

Those of you who have been in therapy, how has it helped? Did they give you any types of exercises to complete etc...? I don't want to need therapy for the rest of my life! And I don't want to feel like sh** for the rest of my life.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: How does therapy help you?

Insearchofpeace, you might need to change therapists? I went to about four therapists over the course of 10 years (on and off as issues came up) for the treatment of anxiety. The first therapist told me that I didn't have good boundaries and that I had a fear of intimacy (I only saw her 5 times). This was such a profound discovery for me and this gave me something to work on for a few years. After this few years my anxiety increased again because I was in my first serious relationship and I was coming up against some deeper fear of intimacy issues. I went to a different therapist and she helped me work on seeing myself as a valuable person (I think that I saw her once). This then gave me something to work on for a few more years. When I was working on my Masters a few years later my anxiety increased again because of the subject matter that I was studying. I went to a few therapists who did not help at all (just a few visits) and then I found an excellent therapist (psychology professor) who worked me through the last of the roots of my anxiety (really understanding how I wasn't meeting my own needs, really accepting who I was and feeling totally comfortable with myself and others.) I saw him for less than ten visits. After seeing him some issues still come up but I am at a place where I can work them out myself. I can't remember if you ever told us what your issues/background are?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: How does therapy help you?

Insearchofpeace, I read your background info in your other post.

Closed Thread