It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
(male)

merrychristmas HB User
2 questions

hello everybody, this is my first post and i do realize i have a corny name but whatever lol.. anyways im going to doc/pschologist next week for my first appoinment depression. i was wondering how do the meds make you feel on a daily basis, plus what if the meds don't work, what other options are there. thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2006, 12:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: 2 questions

The meds are suppose to make you feel "normal" on a daily business, I have days for what ever reasons one of my meds or more are off I don't feel right. Each med is going to effect people differently so it is really hard to say. I take six different prescription meds daily to reach an almost daily level of productivity. Now on the same hand when I hit a rough patch I know something is not right and I have to be really concious of my actions so I do not do anything stupid (I have self harm issues) but the meds are suppose to keep the bads not so bad but at the same time your goods are not as great as they should be.

What happens when the meds don't work. There is therapy, alternative medicine, ECT, VNS - this one is still pretty new, light therapy. Some doctors will insist the meds will work by adding more meds to the mix. A lot of people here take more than one med.

hope this helps
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User

i'm on prozac and its making me feel in control, normal, so i can handle other life issues. before meds i was out of control big time. doing self harm, and suicidal. crying alot for no reason sometimes. counseling helped but wasnt' enough anymore. i had to go on meds. its great now. i tried a couple different AD's and they didn't work or i didn't give them enough time. it takes most people a couple tries of different meds to find the one for them. i'm seeing a psychatrist and counselor. just have to keep fighting till you find what works for you.

Old 12-25-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User

Dont' worry about "other options" yet....you didn't even get to the first appt.

I would say meds make you feel "normal" not overly happy or zombie like...they just take the edge off. You'll still cry and feel.... now that being said..there are different meds and you may have to experiment a bit to find which one works for you. I've used Zoloft and had great sucess.

Talk therapy also needs to accompany the meds and imo should preceed the meds. If this is your first appointment.....you may want to give talk therapy a try for a few months to see how it goes. If you can't function then meds are an option....but...if you can function...maybe some good therapy will do.

Closed Thread