It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
cymbalta-what do you think?

I have friends at work on Cymbalta and so far they really like it. I am already on Zoloft for anxiety-but will stay on that since I don't think that cymbalta is really for that. I take Ultram for my chronic pain, and I am depressed (have a thread posted "am I?")
I just wanted to know what those of you who tried it think-about how much does it cost ( I know there is no generic yet). What do you feel are negatives about this med?
I am going to ask my doc to put me on this. I have been on Wellbutrin before but it didn't do anything for me or my libido and I am hoping that I can remedy that.
Thanks!

Old 12-25-2006, 03:04 AM   #2
(female)

AmyW HB User
Re: cymbalta-what do you think?

Cymbalta didn't help my depression, but everyone is different. Paxil (40mg) is working wonders for me. It's expensive too if you don't have insurance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2006, 07:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User

I started Cymbalta for depression, anxiety and nerve pain caused by a surgical mistake that I have had for over 5 years. It helped the anxiety (which was elevated from another medication I take for frequent migraines and headaches)....

It helped, but the doctor kept raising it, to the point that IT raised my headaches again....Once my other PCP lowered it again I am back to loving it again!! I had not realized how much anxiety I really had been living with and controlling me for years.....

I am really liking this medication. FOR ME, it has really been a God send!!

As was mentioned, everyone is different on these medications......

There is an add out, DEPRESSION HURTS..... and this can be true for me.....the facial nerve pain was only partially covered by the migraine med, Cymbalta is helping dull the other part.....

Ginny

Old 12-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User

Unfortunately I suffered a very rare, and potentially fatal, side effect from Cymbalta - that of serotonin syndrome.

For a week I had no sleep at all, didn't eat a thing and was still ready for anything at the end of the seven days. My puplis were dilated and my speech was rushed - I felt like I was on an overdose of amphetamine.

I decided to stick with it incase it was just my body getting used to the drug, however this was the 5th anti-dep I tried and I hadn't experienced anything like this before. By the eigth day my facial muscles had begun to go into spasm and I couldn't feel anything in my face. I rang my psychiatrist would urged me to go to A+E immediately with suspected serotonin syndrome (he rang ahead of me arriving so they knew what to expect as it is so serious). By the time I got to A+E all the muscles in my body were spasming. My hands had clasped shut, my legs were trying to bend backwards, I was fitting, I was hallucinating and my jaw was clenched shut so I couldn't talk.

I was monitored throughout my withdrawal from this drug.

As I've stated this serotonin syndrome is very, very rare - but it isn't something I would wish on anyone.

Nut.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
(female)

KathyIL HB User

Cymbalta has worked wonders for my neck pain and crepitus.

I have 2 large disks at c5-6 and c6-7 that are compressing my spinal cord with moderate to severe canal stenosis. I also have a herniated disk at t7-8 with disk material up against but not compressing the thoracic cord.

I have been on the Cymbalta for almost a year. My doc started out with 30mg and then upped it to 60.

As far as the depression goes, it has gotten rid of the most devasting symptoms (not being able to even get out of bed, feeling like I want to cry, etc.) A little depression remains, but it is definately manageable.

I took it for 5 or 6 weeks before it began to work. After that, I continued to improve and hardly have any neck pain at all now. I've learned to take it the same time every day and not miss a dose.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:57 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

My Doctor put me on Cymbalta and after it got in my system, it has worked great for me. About 2 weeks ago, I didn't have a clue as what was wrong with me because all I was doing was crying and wanted to sleep all the time and when I was awake, I didn't want to go to bed. I noticed that I was starting to snap everbody's head off that got near me and this just was not like me. So I got all my medicines down and guess what I found? I had been out of my Cymbalta for almost 2 weeks and thats what was wrong with me. The Doctor has me on 60mg a day and I think it's great. Just don't run out of it or it's on with somebody!

Old 12-26-2006, 11:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

wow-thank you for the replies with good and bad experiences. So some of you think it may actually HELP the anxiety too? that maybe I could get off of the zoloft? I guess that is a good Q for my doc. I think I really do want to give it a try. I am similar that when I get into bed, I don't want to get up but then when I am awake, I will stay up til I absolutely cannot keep my eyes open. (Love to sleep, hate going to bed!)
I am going to drop at note by my doc's tomorrow-so we'll see what she says.
thanks again!
Mel

Old 12-29-2006, 01:26 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

mel1977,

That is the way I do. I will fight it and fight it to keep from going to bed, but then when I get in bed I don't won't to get up. But my Doctor said that is depression for you. The Cymbalta has helped me with the crying spells and me snapping at everbody that I come in contact with. I have to take a sleeping pill also at night to try and knock my lights out so I can go to bed. Thats bad but I guess it's all the depression I've been under from losing my family memebers lately.

Maybe your Doctor can give you some good advice. My Doctor told me that Cymbalta was the best depression pill on the market right now.

Good Luck,
Jan

Old 12-31-2006, 03:33 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

Cymbalta did nothing for my depression. I was on it for several months and unfortunately, it killed my sex drive/libido. I've also been struggling with hormone meds, trying to find hormonal bliss (had a hysterectomy nearly 2 years ago). I am now taking Wellbutrin XL, which is doing wonders for my depression.....still no sex drive though!!

Old 01-04-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I am hoping that it helps me just started yesterday.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:36 AM   #11
(female)

loufrank HB User

I am doing great on it so far.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:22 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User

I am doing very well with it as well. I did not realize what a difference it could make for me!

Old 02-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #13
(female)

katmandu927 HB User

I have been on Cymbalta for nearly 6 months now. It has done nothing for me. It has really messed my potassium level up bad. I have to take potassium pills now.Every bone in my body hurts, now. I haven't had the desire to be close to my husband since I started taking the stuff. I really am not impressed with it at all.
I am going to try and get off of this. I still stay in bed and cry all the time.
I don't see no benefits from it at all.
I just thought I would put my 2 cents in.
Hope it works better for you.................
Good Luck!!!!!!!

God Bless............

Old 02-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
(female)

Studio1234 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyW View Post
Cymbalta didn't help my depression, but everyone is different. Paxil (40mg) is working wonders for me. It's expensive too if you don't have insurance!
Hi Amy: Have you gained any weight on Paxil and how long have you been on it

Closed Thread