It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User
seasonal affective disorder

does anyone here get seasonal affective disorder. i am currently on buspar for anxiety and am in counseling for depression. have tried anti's and had a lot of problems with them. the last couple of weeks i have had an increasing loss of energy. 2 weeks ago i took a walk almost every day. this week i can hardly get out of bed. a little less than a week ago i came down with a stomach bug and a few days later it hit the intestines. i don't know what is causing this extreme fatigue. sleep 8 hours a night and a couple hours every afternoon. can hardly move the rest of the time. started st john's wort a few days ago and am starting my sad light. not so down in my head but more in my body.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Re: seasonal affective disorder

I have never been diagnosed with Seasonal Disorder but I can see a difference in my attitude and well being during the winter months. I do not like the cold, snow, ice, gray gloomy days. I go to bed early, and can't drag myself out of bed in the morning, even with 10 hours of sleep! Days like today, cold, but sunny, I get more done and am a happier person at work. Has anyone recommended a light for you? Blank on what they are called, but like a sun lamp. I know many people will use a tanning bed once in awhile during the winter to help them feel like they have sun. (I know, I used to work in the tanning industry)
Also, do you think you may be coming down with the flu or some other infection? You mentioned a stomach bug. Some illnesses drag on for weeks.
Good luck, take care of yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

cecropia HB User

Hi Marian,

How much Buspar do you take a day? I am taking 30mg. broken up into 4 times a day to make the total of 30. I also take St. John's Wort, have been for about 3 months. I think they work well together and yes I have sad also. I have a therapy light in my basement where I watch tv and work on picture puzzles while I'm sitting under it. I have been back on Buspar for 6months now. I had three really great weeks just before Christmas and then the day after Christmas I started to feel yukky and every day has gotten a little worse, sort of after the holiday blues breaking through the medicine. I will be so glad when I start to go back the other way again.

Maybe you are having an after holiday crash also and it does not help to get a touch of the flu along the way. I hope you feel better, maybe it will just take some time to get going again. Take baby steps. I always remember that from therapy.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

thanks for the replies. i think the st john wort's was making me feel tired. i am using my light. the last couple of days i am down in mood but up in energy. maybe a little let down from christmas although my expectations aren't that high in the first place. i think i have a realistic expectation in that area. anyway off the st john worts. we will see. i am taking 60mg of buspar. 30mg twice a day. i sed to be on 30mg but after 2 years my anxiety came back. so it was upped. hope you all have a happy and blessed new year.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:58 AM   #5
(female)

kj_johnson HB User
Cool Re: seasonal affective disorder

OK.. yes I have it SAD, if it rains, or whatever if there is no sun I can stay in bed. The snow, rain, ice , etc doesn't bother me. It's just if the sun isn't shining. blah......the brighter the light , sooooooo much better. When it does snow and the sun is shining on the ice and snow it brings on a fantastic light. Does anyone feel this way?

kj

Old 01-02-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
(female)

bloodyhell HB User

Have you tried taking vitamin D in the dark days of winter? Fish Oil is helpful. When it's cold out, which is pretty much every day until, oh, May! I really don't want to go out, but my dogs end up staging a messy protest and I have no choice.
I've tried lots of remedies with varying degrees of success, but I never, never have returned from a walk and said "Boy, I feel worse than ever". It's just getting out there that's the hard part.

Closed Thread