It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
(female)

beachcomber82 HB User
post-partum, weaning off meds

Hello, I am on paxil for post partum and have started weaning myself off. I am now down to half a pill every second night and I am feeling very light headed, sometimes dizzy...anyone experience this when weaning off anti-depressants?

Old 12-28-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
(female)

brooke50 HB User
Re: post-partum, weaning off meds

I took paxil for about 8 months and when I tried to go off it I got these weird shock like sensations. It was awful, so when I was down to 5 or 10 mgs my doctor switched me to 10 mgs of prozac and it worked! I didn't have any withdrawal. If things get too bad I would ask about switching meds for about 2 weeks.
take care,
brooke

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2006, 08:05 AM   #3
(male)

Breezes HB User

I went through Paxil withdrawal for many months. The dizziness was disabling unless I tapered very, very slowly. A pill cutter was a must for cutting up small pieces. Adding Zoloft near the end helped me to finally get off it.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:49 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

You need to taper slowly EVERY day -- NOT every other day. By tapering every other day you keep your body in a constant state of withdrawal and you don't give it the chance to adjust to lower doses.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

I've heard the same thing that sickofeffexor said about taking it daily.

Paxil is available in liquid form, for tapering off very slowly. Or, adding a different SSRI like Prozac, towards the end of your taper and then tapering off that can really help. Prozac has a long "half life" so it makes it easier to taper from, apparently.

Closed Thread