It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
(male)

david45249 HB User
Can people be born with depression?

I've had a low mood for a lot of my life. The past few years I've had a few battles with major depression. Now I'm back to low mood (dysthmia) and chronic fatigue and sleepiness. Years of counseling and medicine didn't work. Actually I think the medicine made me a lot worse and could have started the fatigue. I rarely have negative thoughts, I have a good self-image and I have wonderful friends. I feel depressed but I rarely think depressed.

Are some people born with a messed up brain and have dysthmia depression so that they feel depressed no matter how good life is and how healthy they are? Thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Can people be born with depression?

I guess it would depend if you believe depression can be chemical if so then yes one can be born depressession prone.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

Hi David,

To add to what trg said, you can inherit a tendency for depression from your parents. Rumor also has it that if your mother was depressed or anxious while she was pregnant with you, and she wasn't taking an antidepressant, there may be some effects. So far they mostly talk about effects from anxiety, like baby being hard to settle, and some ADD/ADHD may be attributed to an anxious pregnancy as well. Anxiety & depression often go together...

Sorry to read that you've been dealing with this long term. Quite a few people here have--you're in good company.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

inda HB User

Hi David

I certainly know that you can be born with depression.. Mine is genetic... depression ran on both sides of my family.. it is chemical...at least most of the time mine will respond to meds.. i do find the older i get ( i am 51 almost 52) that it becomes med resistant... i constantly have to switch dosages or meds completely. My depression is also fueled by pain and lack of sleep.. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis... and chronic insomnia... I would suggest possibly seeing a counselor and trying meds and talk therapy to see if you respond..

Keep us informed and remember we are here for you

Old 01-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User

oh, ya i'm sure my depression is part biological. my mom was depressed, my sister has it. apparently i've had it all my life but never knew it. i became seriously depressed after a petloss. its been h... let me tell you. i'm on prozac that seems to be working so i can be incontrol instead of out of control. still get down but not like i was. so your in good company sorry to say......

Old 01-02-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
(female)

Countrygirl1 HB User

Personally, I believe that a person can be born with a chemical imbalance that can easily lead to depression. Also, I believe that it is genetic-not only physically, but also behaviorally.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

David, how was your upbringing?

Old 01-03-2007, 06:24 AM   #8
(male)

david45249 HB User

Thanks for all of the responses. I don't know what to do then. I've tried 3 psychologists, had years of counseling and tried 8 types of medicine. Nothing helped at all. I feel very stuck. I can't think of anything that I need to work through emotionally either.

My upbringing? That's a pretty involved question to respond to through typing. My parents have never been depressed, but my sister has been a drug addict for at least 10 years and so is my cousin. I also have uncles who are on drugs. That's both sides of the family. My parents treated me well and we still have a great relationship. As I get older though I can see things I don't like, but nothing major. I'm also a Christian so things are good with me and God.

Last edited by david45249; 01-03-2007 at 06:25 AM.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:21 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by david45249
I can't think of anything that I need to work through emotionally either.

As I get older though I can see things I don't like, but nothing major.
David, it's funny when I had my issues I had no idea that I had issues! A friend told me that I should go seek therapy. I was shocked! We are the last to know our issues. It is all that we have known and therefore, it is
"normal" for us. What are the things that you don't like. This sounds like a good place to start.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by david45249

Are some people born with a messed up brain and have dysthmia depression so that they feel depressed no matter how good life is and how healthy they are? Thanks for the feedback.
I have a family history of depression. My two siblings are definitely not depressed. I don't believe people are born depressed. Vulnerable, yes.

Closed Thread