It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 11:51 PM   #1
(male)

jdrumstik HB User
SSRIs (Prozac, Zoloft) and Orgasms?

Okay, So me and my Girlfriend are preparing for sex, we are 19 and 20, and are both virgins. We will probably get married and have been dating for almost 1 year now.

Anyways, I know that SSRIs (Reuptake Inhibitors) such as Prozac, which is what she is on, are often prescribed to help men who suffer from premature ejaculation. However I have read, but only a few times, that it may also have a delayed effect on a women's orgasms (Not a good thing).

However, a Women's ability to orgasm is tied in very closely with her state of arousal, which we seem to have no problem achieving (Very high arousal state) with simple, yet well executed make-outs.

SO my question is, if she can become very aroused is it fair to assume that she will also orgasm regularly or may it still be delayed?

I know a lot of people will say go to your doctor, or you just have to try it and see, but if people went to their doctor's this forum wouldn't exist. Humor me?

Old 01-09-2007, 03:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User
Re: SSRIs (Prozac, Zoloft) and Orgasms?

With an SSRI it can make it challenging, difficult or practically impossible to climax. DOesn't matter if she is aroused (if she can feel aroused). It's one of the reasons people give up on these meds or ask to switch to another one. --and there really doesn't seem to be one that relieves depression and leaves the libido intact for a majority of people. Wait until she's no longer needing the meds--you've both been patient this long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
(male)

jdrumstik HB User

Yeah, well the problem with that is her depression is not actually linked to anything as far as we can tell. And her mom has the exact same problem and is also on the exact same meds but still has a different doctor. So the point is she may never go off of them.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

I've been taking Lexapro for a little over 3 months. My orgasms are delayed, but that doesn't mean I can't orgasm. It can take several minutes longer than normal, but good things come to those who wait. Also, it doesn't always take longer - it depends, like with any woman, at what point I am in my cycle. Sex drive ebbs and flows with women. If you orgasm before she does, there are other ways for her to come to orgasm without intercourse.

My sex drive has actually increased on Lexapro, and my orgasms are better than ever - yes, good things come to those who wait! I don't think arousal is directly linked to ability to orgasm. I become aroused more often and easier on Lexapro than without - guess because I'm just happier overall and the sex drive that disappeared while I was very depressed is coming back. It just takes a little longer on average to orgasm, that's all.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User

you know what....I would say don't worry alot about the orgasms right now. Chances are....she might not have them for awhile and it's nothing to do with the anti depressants. the female orgasm can be a funny animal...and till women really learn how they like to be touched (other than what they see in teh movies) and till you learn how she likes to be touched.....just have fun trying

very arroused does not equal good orgasm

Old 01-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

(gee...maybe I want to switch to Lexapro!! lol)

Prozac has a long half-life, so the thing you can do on some of the other SSRIs probably won't work. It depends too if she's on her effective dose. If she is, then she should speak to her prescribing doctor to get some suggestions.

THe other ladies had good points about not making it all about the O. It's the journey, not Just the destination.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User

As others have said, do NOT worry about orgasming! I don't orgasm every time I have sex, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it. And trust me, if the girl knows that you're trying so hard just to make her have an orgasm, she's going to feel pressured to have one to please you, and it will make it all that much more difficult.

I say don't even mention the word orgasm. Just enjoy yourselves. Pay attention, and do things to her that she likes, not for the sake of getting her to orgasm, but for the sake of making her feel good, PERIOD.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:17 AM   #8
(male)

jdrumstik HB User

Thanks for all the great advice, it seems like their are a lot of great people on these boards.

Closed Thread