It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
(male)

Johndg2 HB User
lingering colds related to depression

I posted on the cold/flu board, but it may be more appropraite to post here.
Does anyone think that depression may cause common colds and such to linger longer than it should? Like a psychosomatice thing where your depression will not let your body recover as quickly as it should. Or possibly immune function is lowered with depressed people. There is a link b/w seratonin and immune function. Something of that sort is going on with me. I should note a couple things. I stared taking paxil and zyprexa in 2002 after a serious psychotic epeisode. It really helped out. Before then, I had been depressed off and on for years. I made it through some strange depressed, and neurotic times without meds, but my god it took a long time, but I believe it paid off. Being older, I didnt have the time to be a total wreck with more responsibilities. I've been pretty stable ever since I started meds. I had to go off paxil in 2004, and had severe withdraws, which I believe hurt my immune system, because I started catching colds way more than I ever had. Took St. Johns wort and 5-HtP for a year; it worked beautifully for a year untill it pooped out when I got sick again. Last year at this time I got a stomach virus, and then the depression came again. I was left with a really awful physical depression, which I cant even explain (really tired and felt like I was poisined). That lasted weeks, then I got a sinus infection that lasted 2 months. After that cleared, I still felt awfyu. Finally started taking lexapro, which is working, but admitedly not as good as paxil... I'm willing to take that since I feel like it's safer (who knows) I didnt get sick that much whil ON paxil by the way. It started when I came OFF. Anyways, if youv'e read this far, has anyone experinced a similar things. I dont feel that bad now, the cold just lingers too long after the worst is over. Anyone else? Also I smoke, which is not good, and I should quit, soon, maybe today.

pieces, Johndg2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
(male)

Breezes HB User
Re: lingering colds related to depression

Depression suppresses the immune system. I used to have colds that lingered for a long time. I started taking zinc a few years ago and it hasn't been a problem since.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
(male)

Johndg2 HB User
Re: lingering colds related to depression

Thanks for the post. I'm going try and quit smoking tommorow. I used to run and play soccer, and not smoke; I didnt catch a cold in 3 years.

Closed Thread