It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
(male)

thebiglebowski HB User
Feeling Physical pain from depression?

Hi, I'm 22, in great shape ( can run an easy mile under 6 minutes ) but my body hurts a lot. Shoulder blades hurt along with upper back pain consistently every day, abdomin area hurts, breathing is hard and painful sometimes. Anybody else feel this pain who might be depressed? hard time sleeping too..thought about medication, taken it twice in past 5 years for 4 months each time then went off. don't know what to do, not that happy, feel angry and sad, paralyzed kind of. feel panicy a lot, very unerved and nervous, get stressed really easy and feel uneasy mostly the whole day. any suggestions, similar experiences? here to help, thanks.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
(female)

s.g. HB User
Re: Feeling Physical pain from depression?

There are physical symtoms that go along with depression. I have headaches, facial pain, neck and shoulder pain. It sounds like TMJ, but its not. I clench my teeth from stress and anxiety, which causes all of the above to get worse. There are days I could pop Ibuprofen like M&M's, but I don't in fear that I could get an ulcer or something. Like I need that. Depression is a wierd thing. Some people have emotional symptoms and others physical and emotional. I have both. It does not have to be the end of the world. I have been prescribed a medication recently that I hope will help with all of this. I can't stand having the tension in my neck and head any longer. If you are concerned that it maybe something else you should see your M.D. Actually I would see him/her either way and tell them what is going on. It may actually be something that is physically wrong or it maybe part of the depression/anxiety you may be experiencing. I hope you feel better soon. Take care and write back anytime.

s.g.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

Yeah, you know that TV commercial--"Depression hurts"? Sounds like it fits you. I'm not an achy depressed, but the anxiety stuff you mentioned, that's my kind. Oh, so I do get a sore jaw sometimes from it because I seem to hold my stress in my jaw, when it's the worst.

It sounds too like you are hoping for other options than antidepressants? There are some things I know work for some people. Completely dark bedroom at night (from about 9 or 10 p.m.) or a sleep mask to make it dark, helps reset melatonin production apparently. There's also orange glasses you can wear to watch TV or use the computer at night to keep the blue light from messing with melatonin.

An OTT Light can help with daytime light, especially if there's not much sun where you are, this time of year. Use it during daytime hours.

Vitamins like Stress B-complex can help, with higher than 100% of the RDAs (at least 500% for B6 & B12), including folate, vitamin D, iron. A calcium/magnesium combination (1000/400mg.) can be calming, and fish oil/Omega 3 can be helpful as well. Balch & Balch have a book about treating many a disease naturally. I tried a ton of them, and these are some I've had some results from (although I take Zoloft anyway). hth

Old 01-23-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

yvette777 HB User

I take cymbalta, like the commercial, depression hurts. I don't think depression is causing me pain. I think the long term pain is causing my depression, but either way I am trying it been on it two weeks. Doctor explained that it works differently than other anti-depressants. I do feel less nerve pain in my legs..but don't know.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Lebowski, I would guess that your anxiety is causing all of the pain. You know, you tighten your back when stressed and stress causes stomach pain. Are you having the breathing problems with the panic attacks? But like S.G. said, you might want to just get a check up at the doctor anyway.

I suffered from anxiety and I received therapy for it and figured out what the thoughts and emotions were that fueled it. You don't have to live this way.

Do you know why you feel angry? Unexpressed anger can cause depression. Have you considered therapy?

Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
(male)

thebiglebowski HB User

Hi there, and thank you for your repsonse, it's really appreciated. i actually started to see a therapist today for the first time in a year. we talk and it helps, but i still feel pretty bad physically. i just feel like i can't get good deep breathes. i went to the hospital about half a year ago for a panic attack and everything came back positive. anyways, thanks for you concern.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
(male)

thebiglebowski HB User

thank you for responding and all the advice and options you've listed. but how's zoloft anyways? we might react differen't to medications, but is it good for your anxiety? what are the benefits you feel?

Old 01-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
(male)

thebiglebowski HB User

hey thanks a lot i never knew there was something i could just take for the tension or aches, i always thought that i had to take an anti depressant for it. anyways thank you and i'm actually now because of you really considering going back to my psyhciatrist and asking him for his advice to treat these physical symptons i have, thanks.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #9
(male)

thebiglebowski HB User

hey there, i always think about cymbalta because of that commercial haha. but is the medication working the way you expected? write me when you feel the benefits or anything, thanks, good luck i hope it helps!

Old 01-24-2007, 04:49 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lebowski, I just read on another thread where you wrote that your parents are making you get a business degree that you don't want. What other controlling behaviors do they have and how else do they ignore who you really are (besides ignoring that you are depressed)?

Old 02-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #11
(female)

kaylamckellar HB User
Unhappy Re: Feeling Physical pain from depression?

I have had chronic headaches for over 10 yrs. now, the doctors just said I'm stressed. I have the Jaw aches, I even had surgury. Did not help. I have just dealt with it. Every single day! I also have the neck and shoulder pains. I'm on Wellbutrin XL 150 mg., its been about two months now. I still have extreme headaches, sometimes I get motivated to live, but only in short spurts. I cant stand feeling so blah all the time. I'm considering telling my doctor to switch me to Cymbalta for the physical symptoms. HELP! Does anybody have an insight of what to do? I'm so tired of this depression, I feel like I have every symptom possible.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:54 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kay, your headaches, jaw pain (from clenching?) and shoulder and neck pain sound to me like they are from tensing up your body, so therefore, you have anxiety?

Closed Thread