It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Mattm4000 HB User
Depression and Eye Problems..What I have Discovered.

Does anyone who suffers from depression notice any problems with their eyesight since the onset of the depression? I came down with depression about two and a half year ago after going through some rough times including the break-up of a long term relationship. I didn't realize that I had depression at first. I knew I didn't feel right so I went to a few doctors thinking it was something physical and after they ran various tests they said they weren't able to find anything wrong with me and it was probably caused by stress. I eventually realized it was depression after I basically "self-diagnosed" myself after reading books and online articles and matching up the various symptoms. One thing I noticed though at the same time that I came down with the depression is that I started to have vision problems. I have whats knows an floaters and I did have them before the depression but afterwards the number of floaters had increased and I also noticed what appeared to be a fog over my vision. Its kind of hard to describe. Its not blurry vision but more like as if you were looking at the world through smoke or haze and at nights I can notice halos around lights. I really thought that either the problems with my eyes were either just a coincidence from just poor vision because I do wear glasses for distance so I figured either it was that or possibly that the doctors had missed something when I was undergoing all the tests.

Now, the other day I was doing a search online just about depression and its various symptoms and I came across a website that was of great interest to me. I am not sure if I am allowed to specifically mention the website here or provide a link so to be on the safe side I wont do it but it talks about the link between depression and eye floaters. This was the first time I had ever seen any mention of this. It did say that there was no medical evidence to support a link between the two but just that it seems that alot of people who suffer from depression also seem to suffer from floaters. I guess they are trying to say that even though theres no clear cut medical link, that when theres that many people in the same boat, then it must mean something.

It goes on to talk about how since it IS a medically proven fact that Depression does cause chemical changes in the brain, such as a reduction of certain types of neurochemicals that the reduction in these chemicals is what can cause the physical problems that people suffering from depression speak of. Although its not medically proven,if you think about it it does make sense. Just think about how if your fluid levels in your car were at low levels how it would most certainly affect your cars performance, so I guess it could be the same with human beings? Right?

I was just curious if anyone else has heard of anytpe of link like this or if anyone who suffers from depression has these types of eye problems and I am also curious to know how reversable the damage might be. In other words, when the depression is cured..will other things improve as well?

Please share any thoughts or ideas..

Thanks.

Last edited by Mattm4000; 01-30-2007 at 12:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Re: Depression and Eye Problems..What I have Discovered.

I didnt know of a link to it, I thought it was just because I cry so much! I could see how it could disturb your vision though.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

First off, depression does not cause floaters but rather, floaters can cause depression as in you are depressed over them(makes sense, they are very irritating to have and apparentely they have no cure).

The majority of people in the world either have floaters or will get them in the future. They are very normal and prevalent in the population.

They scare people into thinking depression is medical enough to cause all sorts of things like physical pain, bone loss, vision problems, etc. But the reality is that pain can be caused by lifestyle, and if a depressed person is not following healthy lifestyle(which most times they are not) like eating well, exercising well, etc. then pain and stiffness can be the result of a weak, unexercised body. Bone loss occurs naturally when diet is bad and from lack of weight bearing exercise....again, this is lifestyle although aging itself will bring alot of this on too. Most vision problems are not related to depression but rather eye irregularites.

However, the antidepressants themselves have already been clinically proven to have such side effects as bone loss (recent Canada study confirms past studies on bone density loss and antidepressant use) and also many antidepressants have the listed side effect of increased eye pressure, which can cause some vision problems.

Increased eye pressure can cause glaucoma and one of the symptoms of it is halos around lights at night. I'm not saying you have glaucoma, but just check it out with a simple test to see. If you don't take an antidepressant now, sounds like one would only complicate your problems.

Last edited by Jennita; 02-01-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattm4000 View Post
Does anyone who suffers from depression notice any problems with their eyesight since the onset of the depression? I came down with depression about two and a half year ago after going through some rough times including the break-up of a long term relationship. I didn't realize that I had depression at first. I knew I didn't feel right so I went to a few doctors thinking it was something physical and after they ran various tests they said they weren't able to find anything wrong with me and it was probably caused by stress. I eventually realized it was depression after I basically "self-diagnosed" myself after reading books and online articles and matching up the various symptoms. One thing I noticed though at the same time that I came down with the depression is that I started to have vision problems. I have whats knows an floaters and I did have them before the depression but afterwards the number of floaters had increased and I also noticed what appeared to be a fog over my vision. Its kind of hard to describe. Its not blurry vision but more like as if you were looking at the world through smoke or haze and at nights I can notice halos around lights. I really thought that either the problems with my eyes were either just a coincidence from just poor vision because I do wear glasses for distance so I figured either it was that or possibly that the doctors had missed something when I was undergoing all the tests.

Now, the other day I was doing a search online just about depression and its various symptoms and I came across a website that was of great interest to me. I am not sure if I am allowed to specifically mention the website here or provide a link so to be on the safe side I wont do it but it talks about the link between depression and eye floaters. This was the first time I had ever seen any mention of this. It did say that there was no medical evidence to support a link between the two but just that it seems that alot of people who suffer from depression also seem to suffer from floaters. I guess they are trying to say that even though theres no clear cut medical link, that when theres that many people in the same boat, then it must mean something.

It goes on to talk about how since it IS a medically proven fact that Depression does cause chemical changes in the brain, such as a reduction of certain types of neurochemicals that the reduction in these chemicals is what can cause the physical problems that people suffering from depression speak of. Although its not medically proven,if you think about it it does make sense. Just think about how if your fluid levels in your car were at low levels how it would most certainly affect your cars performance, so I guess it could be the same with human beings? Right?

I was just curious if anyone else has heard of anytpe of link like this or if anyone who suffers from depression has these types of eye problems and I am also curious to know how reversable the damage might be. In other words, when the depression is cured..will other things improve as well?

Please share any thoughts or ideas..

Thanks.
I did a quick search and found information linking depression to "floaters". Can your eye doctor see anything? Apparently floaters are small with these cases.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
(female)

intimisi HB User

I used to get a 'fog' over my eyes when I was trying to focus on something. I never thought anything of it until I started taking anti-depressants and it stopped! Iv been completely off meds for two years and it rarely happens now.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #6
(female)

Emmie1972 HB User

I strongly urge you to see an opthamologist ASAP to examine your eye - floaters, flashes and halos can be signs of a torn retina. A torn retina is an extremely urgent medical emergency. If you do have a torn retina, your doctor will probably perform laser surgery to repair it on the spot, if their office has the equipment. Your eyesight could deteriorate rapidly if it is a torn retina and you do not seek medical treatment.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
(male)

laughingman HB User

You may won't too look into something called visual snow. I have depression and have had visual snow since it began. It's kind of like a static over my entire field of vision. Google visual snow and you should find a forum that has a lot of information about it.

Closed Thread