It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cvoor HB User
Prozac versus Lexapro and agitation/anxiety

Does Prozac or Lexapro agitate and increase anxiety ??
I know we are all different, but I have reacted horribly to Antidepressants.
Not sure of Prozac or Lexapro which would be best for me.
I"m very med sensitive, and had anxiety attacks, and stomach problems with others, including agitation/irritability/anxiousness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
(female)

lonelyalso HB User
Re: Prozac versus Lexapro and agitation/anxiety

I don't know if I can offer much help as I feel I am in the same boat as you. I too am very medication sensitive and have tried both of those AD's you mentioned. I believe Prozac to be the more stimulating of the two and it bothered my stomach much more than Lexapro. I had bad reactions to Lexapro also but not as much. I am still trying to find one that will work for me. I have terrible insomnia and never feel rested even when i have slept. That is probably the depression. I wish you luck. Please keep writing as to how you are doing. My psych dr. tells me there is something out there that will help me but it's trial and error. It's frustrating though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
(female)

xSunnySmilex HB User

I have taken both of these medications. I took Prozac years ago for only about a year for a stress related situation. It worked ok...got me over the hump so to speak. It did give me really weird dreams...stuff like lobsters chasing me and so on... I am currently on Lexapro for depression. This seems to be due to a chemical imbalance, and I have been on a low dosage for about 4 years. It has REALLY helped a LOT. At this point, I feel I am slipping back into depression though, I'm definately showing signs of it again, although it is not as bad. I think I am going to go back to the doc and see if a higher dose is in order. I would give lexapro a try, it did give headaches for the first week or so, but then they went away. Good luck to you.

P.s. I would add that Lexapro HELPED with my agitated and anxious feelings...prozac not so much.

Last edited by xSunnySmilex; 02-07-2007 at 05:31 PM. Reason: more info

Old 02-17-2007, 02:37 AM   #4
(male)

camjunkie HB User

What is the dosage of Lexapro that you are using (you said that it is a "low" dosage).

Last edited by camjunkie; 02-17-2007 at 02:38 AM.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
(male)

ZoloftMan HB User

XSunnySmilex,

Did Lexapro cause you stomach issues when you started it. I have been on 10mg for 12 days and my stomach is out of sorts...lots of gas, cramps, and bloated.

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 02-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
(female)

qingche HB User

Lexapro was way too strong for me. My doctor also said that female patients of hers usually tolerate Prozac much better than Lexapro. But of course everyone is different. I am VERY med sensitive. I tried 5mg of Lexapro for 3 days and had to quit because of the severe side effects: dizziness, extreme fatigue, electric shocks kind of feeling through my arms and legs, night sweat... All of the above. I am now on 5mg of Prozac---only the second day so I can't really tell yet. From the third day I will go up to 10mg. Don't know if it will work for me yet...

Last edited by qingche; 02-18-2007 at 12:36 PM.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:33 PM   #7
(male)

camjunkie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoloftMan View Post
XSunnySmilex,

Did Lexapro cause you stomach issues when you started it. I have been on 10mg for 12 days and my stomach is out of sorts...lots of gas, cramps, and bloated.

Thanks,
Aaron
Aaron,

I took Lexapro for 18 months and had wonderful results with it. However, I had TERRIBLE GI problems the entire time I was on the medication; the most bothersome issue was flatulence (it was awful). Give the drug another couple of weeks. Your body may adjust to it. If not, you might need to switch medications.

I am currently on Prozac. I haven't had any GI issues from it, but it doesn't seem to be doing as much for my depression and anxiety. In fact, I have about a three hour period every evening where I get VERY agitated.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #8
(female)

kj_johnson HB User

Lexapro works much better for me. MUCH. I went off of it again for reasons unknown to me, except that I get to feeling good.

I used to be on Xanax for panic attacks and after 2 to 3 weeks, the Lex kicks in for depression and my anxiety.

Prozac causes anxiety for me.

I don't have any problems with Lexapro except being tired which after being off of it awhile , I'll take the tiredness rather than lying asleep all day. And started taking Wellbutrin again to combat the tiredness.

I'm glad to feel alive again

kj

Old 02-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #9
(female)

Studio1234 HB User

I had a HORRIBLE reaction to Lexapro - it scared me because i felt i could harm myself or others - i never want to experience that again.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:09 AM   #10
(male)

camjunkie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio1234 View Post
I had a HORRIBLE reaction to Lexapro - it scared me because i felt i could harm myself or others - i never want to experience that again.
That sounds awful. Prozac gives me a "short fuse". I felt like slapping a guy today in the Post Office because he was taking too much time at the stamp machine. These drugs are really scary, and what's even worse is that the medical community doesn't want to acknowledge the terrible things that one of these meds could cause someone to do.

Closed Thread