It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
(male)

mike s HB User
Cymbalta

My p-doc just started me on Cymbalta. Could someone share their experiences w/ this med. Success ? Side-effects ? thanks, Mike

Old 02-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: Cymbalta

I'm on Cymbalta 60 mg, up from 30. I don't have any major problems with this AD other than fatigue, and that might be because I am off work and not doing much. I was a little nauseaus at first but that could have been from coming off a 2 week disaster of taking celexa.

I'm also on wellbutrin 150mg. I take the wb in the morning and the cymbalta in the evening. I feel 1,000,000% better than I did in December when I first started going to the doctor for depression/anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
(male)

ryan33 HB User

I was prescribed but never took them. My Dr. told me the most common side effect was vomiting in the morning. Why the heck even tell me this? I have 1-30mg and 2-60mg boxs, as the above poster mentioned, waiting for me. No thanks. I'd rather not feel like vomiting every morning or even take the chance.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

I never actually vomited but I did feel slight nausea.... but that could have been from the celexa. I do like Cymbalta, I hope my p-doc keeps me on it.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User

I suffered the potentially fatal and RARE side effect of Serotonin Syndrome during my first week of taking cymbalta. Throughout the week I didn't close my eyes once to sleep and had limitless mental energy, but was completely whacked physically. My pupils were also extremely dilated for the duration. The only way I can describe the experience was like it was like being on speed - ok for a day, but seven days in a row is no fun at all!

Then my jaw clenched shut and my facial muscles went into spasm. My psychiatrist rang A+E to prepare them for my urgent arrival. By the time I got there (20min later) I couldn't talk, and all my muscles had locked in a contracted position. Then my whole body went into violent spasm (so much so that the whole bed was shaking), I was seeing flashing blue lights and my vital signs were low.

I was given IV diazepam to settle the spasms and kept under constant observation. Gradually the effects began to ease - I had stopped the medication just in time.

It took me a further two weeks before I was back to normal.

As I mentioned, although this is potentially fatal, it is EXTREMELY RARE. So rare my psychiatrist had to complete a 'yellow letter' to the FDA to notify them of it with relation to Cymbalta.

I have tried 5 other anti-deps in my time and this is the only one from which I have suffered this effect. I know many people for whom it has worked wonders - it just wasn't the one for me.

Good Luck

Old 02-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

inda HB User

Hi

I take 30mg in the morning and 30mg in the evening.
I have been on Cmbalya for over 2 yrs.
Never had any side effects.. Most side effects usually only last 2 weeks..

They have to list ANY side effect that was experienced in clinical trials.. even if they are not sure it was caused by something else the person might be experiencing

As I say with regards to meds.. we are each individuals and we wont know how it may affect us with out trying it..

I have been on almost every AD out there and my depression becomes "med resistant" very easily. I have chemical depression, clinical, famial... not situtational.

all you can do is keep on trying and be honest with your dr and others.
finding a drug regiment that works for you isnt an easy task.. but well worth the relief you can get if you stick with it.

Closed Thread