It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
(male)

jayboy HB User
Can I withdraw from 150XR to 75XR Effexor weaning off

I have taken effexor 150 xr for two years and have cut back to 75xr recently. Could I have withdrawals from this. Has anyone come off of effexor and how much was their taper.

Last edited by jayboy; 02-17-2007 at 09:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
(male)

sgt207 HB User
Re: Can I withdraw from 150XR to 75XR Effexor weaning off

Yes you can. I tapered off of zoloft years ago to a ridiculously low dose and still had severe, protracted withdrawals that lasted over two months and resulted in the need to restart the zoloft to stem the withdrawal problems.

Withdraw slowly, give your body time to adjust to the lower dosage before going lower.

Do a search on this topic - sickofeffexor went through this very problem and gives good advice.

Last edited by sgt207; 02-18-2007 at 07:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi jayboy,

in my opinion, it would be better if you take the 75mg. with the 35.7mg. for about a week to two weeks, then go to 75mg. for another week-two weeks, then to the 35.7mg dose for as long as necessary. this, in order that you won't feel the withdrawal symptoms so much.

i'm also in the process of tapering off of effexor (been taking 150mg twice a day, for about 10 years--long time, eh?). when i started to lower the dosage, i took 150 mg in the am, and 75mg plus 35.7mg in the pm for a week (didn't feel any side effects at all). now i'm still taking the 150mg in the am, but only take the 35.7mg at night. so far, so good, thank God. i'm doing it as my pdoc told me to.

just wanted to let you know how i'm doing it...that's all, but it may be different for you. also, keep in touch with your doc. while you're going through this!!

much luck to you!!!

p.s. it also depends whether you want to try another med, or just get off of them completely.

i do want to try an ssri (effexor has lost its effect), but i haven't started it yet, as my insurance only processes meds that are to be taken for a long time by mail-order, and it hasn't arrived yet.

Last edited by Dakota_Skye; 02-18-2007 at 07:55 AM.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt207 View Post
Do a search on this topic - sickofeffexor went through this very problem and gives good advice.
Hi Sgt! Aren't you kind! How are you?

Hi Jay,

Cutting your dose in half can definitely cause withdrawals. The recommended rule of thumb is to not cut down more than 10% at a time. Some people have to taper slower than others -- only you can judge how you are feeling.

If you are having a lot of withdrawal symptoms, you are going down too fast. When you lower a dose, stay at the lowered dose until you are feeling pretty stable, then go down again. And most importantly, taper every single day -- not every other day.

Take care and let me know if you have any questions.

SOE

Last edited by SOE; 02-18-2007 at 09:59 PM.

Closed Thread