It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User
Celexa and Weight Gain - Question

I have just been prescribed Celexa. I haven't picked up the prescription from the Pharmacy yet and don't know if I should. I have been horrified by everything I have been reading about the weight gain caused by this drug. I've gained a lot of weight recently because of the depression and I was hoping these meds would get me to a point, mentally, where I could stop drowning my sorrows in food and become more active. I already continuosly crave sugar and carbohydrates w/o any medication so the thought of these cravings getting worse is really freaking me out!

Has anyone here who has taken Celexa NOT gained weight? Should I call my doctor and voice my concerns? I don't understand why she would prescribe this to me when she knows how terrible I feel about my weight.

Last edited by shucky ducky; 02-20-2007 at 10:57 AM.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: Celexa and Weight Gain - Question

I was on Celexa years ago and I actually lost weight. It gave me more energy and I was able to do more things and not sit at home all night in front of the TV eating. Unfortunately I tried it a couple of months ago and got sick from it or had the flu, who knows???.... and got off it and now I am terrified to try it again. I'm currently on Wellbutrin and Cymbalta and am not eating more than normal and am not hungry all the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
(female)

kelxxx HB User

I also lost weight on celexa, i think it just depends on the individual! But it worked wonders for my depression!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
(male)

Waffles93 HB User

I took Celexa for a year and a half and had no issues with weight gain or loss.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

shucky ducky HB User

Well, this is my 3rd day on Celexa and suprisingly, so far, my appetite has not been as enormous as it usually is. And I find that I'm not reaching for food when dealing with stress. However, I have been experiencing problems sleeping.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

stolie HB User

I never gained any weight on this drug either. Although I think another poster on here said that their appetite went down but they continued to gain weight anyway. I guess it interacts with everyone's body differently.

Last edited by stolie; 02-24-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
(female)

angellady71 HB User

That's very interesting. I have been on Celexa for a month and have lost weight. I have had a few extra stubborn pounds. I have lost about 5 pounds in the last month. It seems to suppress my appetite. That is the reason I visited this site. I was curious if they ever prescribe it for depressed people who are having weight problems. Of course they go hand in hand. Good luck with your new meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shucky ducky View Post
I have just been prescribed Celexa. I haven't picked up the prescription from the Pharmacy yet and don't know if I should. I have been horrified by everything I have been reading about the weight gain caused by this drug. I've gained a lot of weight recently because of the depression and I was hoping these meds would get me to a point, mentally, where I could stop drowning my sorrows in food and become more active. I already continuosly crave sugar and carbohydrates w/o any medication so the thought of these cravings getting worse is really freaking me out!

Has anyone here who has taken Celexa NOT gained weight? Should I call my doctor and voice my concerns? I don't understand why she would prescribe this to me when she knows how terrible I feel about my weight.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I took Celexa for 6 months. I lost weight when I started and then - I gained close to 40lbs in 3 months. I didn't have wight issues when I started. Everyone is different - And it is not prescribed for people who have weight issues that are depressed. Although i wish they had something like that on the market.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shucky ducky View Post

Most people do not gain weight on this. You should try it and feel better. Once you feel better you will want to go forward with the changes you want to make. Although I did have the gain - It was life saver for me. I felt strong enough to work out again and just feel healthier. All of these meds react differently to people. It's tough - I know!!! Keep your head up!

Old 03-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

maintainin HB User

You have to take message boards with a grain of salt. Its not an accurate representation of what most people are experiencing with medication. Most of the time its people posting about problems. You hardly ever hear from the vast majority of people who are doing very well on medication. Why? Because they are happy and getting on with their lives and have no need to.

Last edited by maintainin; 03-09-2007 at 09:41 AM.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Sorry but I disagree. There are many stories posted on these boards that show hope. I think this a great way to support one another. I think taking every comment made on certain drugs is not a good way to go as everyone reacts to drugs differently.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

maintainin HB User

Thats not what I meant. This place is great. I'm strictly talking medication here. I dont think you can't come on here(its not just this website) hoping to get an accurate assesment of a medication. I still stand by my opinion that you hear far more of the bad stuff on message boards than the positive. When somethings wrong, people go looking for answers. It's not just the healthboards. I frequent a chevy website, too. If you went on there, you would swear that chevy's are total pieces of #$%^. Nope, its just everybody goes there to post problems they are having and they represent a very small percentage of the people that drive chevy's.

"I think taking every comment made on certain drugs is not a good way to go as everyone reacts to drugs differently."

Yep, yet I wonder how many people visit places like this and do just that. I know I did at first.

Last edited by maintainin; 03-09-2007 at 01:18 PM.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintainin View Post
You have to take message boards with a grain of salt. Its not an accurate representation of what most people are experiencing with medication. Most of the time its people posting about problems. You hardly ever hear from the vast majority of people who are doing very well on medication. Why? Because they are happy and getting on with their lives and have no need to.
I dunno. Clinical studies on anti depressants contradict that. I don't believe the vast majority of people on medication are happy and doing very well.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #14
(female)

Bluebell87 HB User

Hi there, I've been on celexa for two months and have not gained any weight. Obviously everyones body is different and if you are really concerned I'd advise you to talk to your doctor once more about it. I'm no expert, just letting you know my personal experience. Hope all goes well for you

Closed Thread