It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

qingche HB User
How long does it take for Prozac to kick in?

Hi everyone, I have been taking 10mg of name brand Prozac everyday for a week for depression and anxiety problems. So far it hasn't helped at all. At the same time, it hasn't given me much side effects either---not as much as when I tried Lexapro. I noticed a little bit increased anxiety with Prozac, mostly in the morning when I wake up. But it isn't too bad. However, I am still very depressed! Even more depressed than pre-Prozac days I think!

Is this normal? For the people who have taken Prozac before, how long did it take for it to kick in? When did you start to feel better?

Thanks.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: How long does it take for Prozac to kick in?

It took about two weeks for it to start to work. After about a month, I was feeling better.

Last edited by kittywitty; 02-26-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
(female)

qingche HB User

Thank you Kitty! How much Prozac were you taking? I am only taking 10mg. I am wondering if it is too low...

Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're welcome. I started out at 10mgs, too, because I'm very sensitive to side effects. It depends on the person, though. I was on it for a total of eight years, I was on it twice. The first time I was at 80mgs when I went off of it (thought I was pregnant, negative). I went back on after about two months and was on it up until a month ago. I was on 40mgs when I went off of it this time. I was having bad side effects: hair loss, twitching, numbed emotions, poor short-term memory, etc.

Last edited by kittywitty; 02-26-2007 at 10:27 AM.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
(female)

qingche HB User

Oh no! Your side effects sound awful. I am sorry to hear that. Are you on other meds now? It is so hard to find a medication that truly helps... I have heard a few people on this board saying that the second or third time around, Prozac doesn't work anymore. It is strange.

Are you taking name brand or generic Prozac?

Old 02-26-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm not on any meds anymore, I was taking the brand. I'd been on various mood meds over the past ten years. Prozac was the only one that ever worked long term. It was still working the second time around. I just couldn't handle the side effects, especially the hair loss and numbed emotions. It's really nice to be able to feel now. Oh, I forgot to mention, it lowered my sex drive, too.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
(female)

qingche HB User

Yeah I know how you feel! I am starting to feel the numbness as well, after only a week. It is like that I am still emotional and want to cry, but I just can't! So weird. I don't like that feeling at all. But I guess if it helps with my depression in the long run, I will have to give it a try.

PS. I haven't noticed the sex drive part yet. I was warned by my doctor about it. But I guess for us female patients, this side effect doesn't show up or bother us as much as male patients?

Old 02-26-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

It depends on the female and who she's married to.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
(female)

emmablue HB User

For me the Prozac worked pretty quickly. I would say within 2 weeks but that being said... the side effects are not nice. I am still working through them. I see the Dr tomorrow after almost 30 days on prozac to discuss what is going on with me and the anxiety I am feeling while taking the prozac.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
(female)

qingche HB User

My doctor just upped my dose to 20mg from last night. I don't feel much different this morning, except a slightly increased anxiety. Ugh... Will see if it works. I will give it a week or two...

Closed Thread