It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
(male)

OregonDuck HB User
Taking oxycodone for depression

Good day everyone. Not really sure how to post a new subject on here about oxycodone. I have been on oxycodone on and off for pain management for about 3 years. When on oxycodone I am pain free and it also helps greatly with my chronic depression. I won't lie, I have taken them when I have not been in pain. It just seems that without them I can't seem to function normally and I am severley depressed and just can't seem to make it thru the day. If I take 2 or 3 in the morning I am fine the whole day. What I want to know is why can't doctors treat depression with oxcodone? Is it because they are scared the Government or whomever controls those things will take away thier liscense? I have tried so many other antidepressents I can't keep track. And none has worked like the oxcodone. I have been getting 150 a month and my current doc says I now need to sign a contract that I won't take them for anything but pain and he is cut me down to 50 a month. My depression and anxiety are returning and I don't know what to do. Am I kidding myself that it is helping with my depression? I have read of cases where they have treated depression with oxycodone. Please anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Okay finally found how to make a new post.

The following user gives a hug of support to OregonDuck:
lwagner9 (04-23-2011)
Old 03-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: Taking oxycodone for depression

Hi OregonDuck. Doctors don't prescribe oxycodone for depression because it is highly addictive. How are you doing on your 1/3 prescription? You should go the the Addiction Forum here and read about how people can become very addicted to these drugs and how difficult it is to come off of them. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
(female)

jjwc4 HB User

Your doctor is by law not allowed to prescribe oxycodone for depression because it is not an antidepressant, it is a highly addictive pain medication. He is not being mean to you he is simply not allowed. Yes, it sounds like you are fooling yourself into believing that it is helping your depression, it may in fact be causing it. I agree you need to find help for it in pain management. Oxycodone is not a long acting medication, so if you are taking three in the morning and thinking that it is lasting all day you are fooling yourself. Not that you are doing it on purpose but if it is also helping your pain all day also then you probably be better off in looking into pain management and taking something over the counter to see if that would work for you. Good-luck!
(Do not quit oxycodone cold turkey, you have to be weaned off of it.)

Last edited by jjwc4; 03-08-2007 at 03:03 PM.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
(female)

denverdaisy HB User

I am in the same boat. I am currently taking zoloft/busbar for anxiety/depression and it helps, but when I take pain meds the depression lifts like a miracle. I have always been one of the people who still have depression with meds, and I have tried them all. Going from 150 to 50 oxycodone in a month seems like a big jump, did your doctor give you a plan to taper to minimize withdrawal symptoms? If you cut down too quickly you will feel depression/anxiety from withdrawal on top of your chronic depression which is he** I know.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #5
(male)

OregonDuck HB User
Unhappy Re: Taking oxycodone for depression

Thank you all for the help. I know eventually I will have to get off them. And yes I am all ready addicted to them. I actually went to the ER yesterday and said I had hurt my foot. I feel like such a loser putting my husband thru this. I am on Lamictal and welbuterin but doesn't work! Anyone know of any antidepressents that have the same effect as oxycodone? Never thought I would be a drug addict.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

Well, I have to agree--I have some chronic arthritis in my hands and this winter it was awful, so I was taking Lortab (which I think is Hydrocodone) 2times a day and my depression was soooooo much better. Chronic pain is just flat out debilitating and having the pain lifted made me feel 100xs better. Now it's just, well, nothing sincce I can't take Anti-inflammatories and my depression is at an all time low again. Docs do NOT like you to have the good stuff--just too addicting, I guess.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

maintainin HB User

Oxycodone is an opioid derivative. Morphine, codeine, oxycodone, they all come from opium. LOL, of course they relieve depression. But thats not what they are for. Highly, highly addictive.

Last edited by maintainin; 03-09-2007 at 06:17 PM.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

Well, aren't antidepressants addictive too? What would be the difference, as far as addiction is concerned?

Old 03-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

maintainin HB User

You're kidding right? Whats the difference? It's a narcotic pain reliever. Not an anti-depressant.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

No, I'm not kidding. I know they aren't the same type of drugs.

Many, many people have reported that their ADs were highly addictive and extremely difficult to get off of, sometimes taking years to fully withdraw. Effexor, Paxil and Cymbalta all seem to have a particularly bad reputation for addiction.

I'm wondering what the real difference would be between the types of addiction.

The Following User Says Thank You to oceandreams For This Useful Post:
lwagner9 (04-23-2011)
Old 03-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

maintainin HB User

Well, I suppose you could go over to the addiction board and ask them. I'm sure you can find lots of horror stories about the addiction to pain medication. Not everybody who goes off SSRI's has withdrawals. I would beg to differ on being addicted to pain medication.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams View Post
Well, aren't antidepressants addictive too? What would be the difference, as far as addiction is concerned?
Excuse me for being overly simplistic here. But, it seems to me that if you are looking at 2 classes of drugs and thinking they are both addictive (I'm not saying AD's are addictive, you are), then the answer isnt' "Oh well. They are both addictive, why not take the most addictive one?" The answer to your question should be to avoid them both.

Zoloft has been extremely effective for me as an antidepressant. I can't imagine that painkillers would be any more effective (although, I must admit, I haven't tried them). Zoloft is one of the easier antidepressants to wean off of.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #13
(female)

ali888 HB User

I read this thread with interest because I too have found relief from my depression with Lortab 500/1000 tabs. In my case, it is prescribed at a maximum dosage of two per day and I take it late afternoon and mid evening. It was originally prescribed for late afternoon and evening because of pain but I have told my doctor that it also helps me in the area of depression.

I've been on every antidepressant that's out there for over 38 years. Most made me feel suicidal and more depressed rather than making me feel better.

I do take an older type antidepressant... Trazodone 300mg... at bedtime and although it helps me sleep it has done nothing for my depression. My doctor put me on Ritalin 10 mgs four times a day because I was always tired with no energy and still remained depressed. These two prescriptions Lortab 2 tabs MAX and Ritalin 10 mg 4 X's a day have given me my life back so I know exactly where the original poster is coming from.

Last edited by ali888; 03-11-2007 at 08:11 AM.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

All I can say is, after reading about how good pain killers make you feel, I wish I had some. (just kidding... or maybe not). Feeling depressed all the time is sure getting old.

Last edited by oceandreams; 03-11-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #15
(female)

kessa HB User

Hi all- i have been treated for depression and anxiety for 6 years now. I recently started to take pain meds for migraine headaches. all migraine medicines did not help but percs did. so anyway, I felt wonderful. then a couple of days later i couldn't stop thinking about them. a few days after that i was getting quite depressed if i didn't take them. I was on my way to a addiction. It was making my depression much worse. and i needed larger and larger doses to feel happy. Please, Please avoid pain meds if you do not need them. I went to the addiction/recovery board and they all helped me a lot. It was a very close call for me. I am glad i didn't follow the path i was going down. Think about all you could lose.

Closed Thread