It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
(female)

littlekinder HB User
Question Anyone GAIN weight on 5-htp?

My doc recommended 100 mg nightly of 5-htp for perimenopause/depression symptoms (I already take a Wellbutrin and Lamicta combo). On SSRIs I gained fifty lbs which I have managed to (mostly) lose. 5-htp is said to raise serotonin levels, which would be good, but I remember that when SSRIs first came on the scene they were all going to "help with weight loss" - ha! Over time that has proven to be far from true. I'm sure they alter your metabolism in some way, because I lived on nothing but air, practically, and still gained the 50 lbs.

Sorry so long, but my question is this: has anybody ACTUALLY used 5-htp and experienced any weight gain (or loss)? Yes, I know it is touted as helpful for weight loss, but if you've been around as long as I have you know the SSRIs were also.

Did anyone take it - and for a meaningful period of time? I just DO NOT want to start down that weight gain road again but could use some serotonin help and insomnia aid now that I am in peri-menopause.

Thanks to all of you for being willing to share.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: Anyone GAIN weight on 5-htp?

I only use 5-HTP occasionally, for anxiety, so I don't use it regularly. I'm also off all antidepressants since it is not good to use 5-HTP with SSRIs or you risk serotonin syndrome.

If anything, I think you'd lose or at least maintain weight on 5-HTP. It calms my anxiety pretty quickly (usually within the hour after taking it). It also gives me some mild nausea and suppresses my appetite. It supposedly makes some people sleepy, but it did not do this for me (or at least not at the dose I take). But again, I don't take it continuously (maybe once every 2-3 weeks). This is how it affects me when I take it, but your experience may be different.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
(female)

snarl HB User
Re: Anyone GAIN weight on 5-htp?

Theoretically 5HTP can cause weight gain because it interferes with your cortisol level. Everything which does something to your serotonin, does something to your cortisol. So depending on your personal biochemistry 5htp can make you loose or gain weight.
I suppose there is a lot on the internet about loosing weight in 5htp, because, it is the effect that producers of 5htp want people to know.
Another point is: if the reason you fain weight is overeating due to anxiety, then anything which calms you down and stops from overeating will make you loose weight.
But if the cause if your weight gain is not related to overeating, such as for example problems with thyroid or, any other hormons related cause,
then a downer which interferes with hormones which are not in balance, might cause weight gain.
5HTP also has strange effects when combined with certain medicine.
Specially AD's.

Closed Thread