It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
Depression question

I have suffered with on and off depression for 6 years now. How I deal with it is not to take a antidepressant full time as it takes away any sexual feel I have and i just hate the other side effects.

I carry a lot of stress on me and am always anxious. There are times it gets so worse and than eventually it pulls me back into depression. I have emotional outburst now and than and what that does to my brain I have no idea, all I know is that after a few of those times is when I fall back into depression.

When I finally realize I'm depressed I will start an antidepressant and take it till I'm feeling a lot better. I than go off of it which is usually not even a full two weeks of taking the med.

I do fine after I go off of it and stay ok for a good 4 months than have to repeat the pattern again. Just taking an antidepressant to get over that hump seems to be what helps me.

I know I need counseling, but can't afford it at this time,but will soon. I think if I was in counseling I probably wouldn't end up getting to the point of desperation I feel like I'm in sometimes.

Basically I'm wanting to know any opinions on how I handle my depression.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User
Re: Depression question

Well there might be hope because you are showing you have power over your depression imo. How? Cause you pull yourself out of it after two weeks taking the meds. Honestly...that's not the pills doing that job...that's YOU!!

I have lived with depression for about 15 years and I've just sort of accepted that's the cycle of things. I have a good few years...and then I have the dark periods. I dont' like the side effects of meds either. Anyway...when I feel like I'm going into a depressive episode I get out my notes such as "remeber this is the cycle, you'll come out the other side" "remember you have come thru this before" I dunno...stuff like that. I keep them around....everywhere...so I can see them. And I think it's enough to remind me....I can get thru this...that I WILL get thru this.

Again..I think it's great promise that you get yourself out of the episode so quickly and without meds. Just to say again...I know you take them...but it's probably the placebo effect.

Can't help with the stress really...I don't suffer from that so much. Just...give yourself a break. This is the way we are wired.....it's the cycle of things. At least that's how I get thru. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

I appreciate that response. It was nice. I'm no in a depressive cycle and hope to pull myself out of it here soon. It stinks to go through this but I guess we all do as that is how we are wired. We have our good times and our bad.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halls View Post
I appreciate that response. It was nice. I'm no in a depressive cycle and hope to pull myself out of it here soon. It stinks to go through this but I guess we all do as that is how we are wired. We have our good times and our bad.
And ya know...that sort of thinking has helped me. This is MY normal. This is what happens with me. So I try not to feel bad about it....I mean...don't take what I say as....doing nothing about an episode. I take positive steps. When I feel one coming on...I make the necessary call to the counselor and get an appt. Make sure my support net is in place..I even tell good friends....hey... I think I'm slipping here...help me out.... and they do.

I really have accepted...this is my life....I'll get thru these gloomy days...cause I ALWAYS DO!! And so will you.....you'll be out in no time..especially with this great weather coming!!!

Old 03-23-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi Halls, I'll bet your anxiety is causing your depression. I recovered from anxiety by realizing that it was caused by weak personal boundaries, low self-worth, not meeting my own needs, and lack of social skills. I was able to correct all of these in therapy and now I am anxiety free and functioning at a level that I never dreamed possible.

Closed Thread