It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
(female)

Malak HB User
Smile Reader for a long time, finally steps up to speak

Hello.
I've been reading the posts for this thread for a long time, trying to find answers, which helped me a lot, so first of all i have to thank you all for sharing your experiences.
I've been diagnosed with depression by two therapists some years ago but did nothing about it, in fact i stop seeing them mostly because i felt no empathy with none of them and has i live whit it since i was about 15 (i an 23 now) i always though i could manage it and it was always just a matter of time to get on my feet again.
Well a year ago the situation starts to get out of my control, time passes and i see no improvement, on the contrary, i got more and more distant from everybody, terrible mood swings, anxiety attacks, suicide thoughts and attempt...
So what i always tried to avoid happen: i am on antidepressants: cipralex, (i think you know it as lexapro), xanax and kainever to insominia.
Just in the first days whit xanax i realize how dumb i was to fear it, it feels so good not being anxious all the time, i'm still extremely sad but at least it doesn't bother me as much, which is great!
The first days where great, i was more outgoing, i start talking and feeling better even though i know it's just the lack of anxiety duo to xanax, the cipralex it's not working yet; but a couple a days ago it starts all over again, the extreme sadness, the revolt, the numbness towards everything... what's happening? I was so optimistic but now it seems like "one step forward, two steps back". Is this normal? Was it just the euphoria from the first days on medication and now i'll have to be patient until it kicks in again?
Sorry about the testament, i'm still waiting for an appointment with a therapist, so i was hopping to find some answers here.
Thanks for any help or advice in advance!
Best regards to you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2007, 06:49 AM   #2
(male)

quiet storm HB User
Re: Reader for a long time, finally steps up to speak

The lexapro may take a while to kick in(as long as six weeks for some people). Also, there is a chance that it could make your depression worse initially. If this doesnt pass soon or you start having suicidal thoughts please contact your doctor immediately. There also might be a chance that the lex just isnt for you and you may need to try something else, but like I said above you need to give it a little while.

I know its frustating. You want to feel better again and get impatient and want the AD to work right away, but unfortunately thats not how these drugs work most of the time. Hang in there, it will get better.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
(female)

Malak HB User

First of all thank you for your response
I know that antidepressants take their time, and i'm still far from the 4 or 5 weeks my doctor told me it would take to show results.
My concern is the xanax, it was making me feel better, i was able not to cry or think about suicide for a week or so (oh what a joy!!), but now it seems it just stop working.. :\
I'm going to try to talk to my doctor first thing tomorrow, maybe i need a higher dose.
Once again, thank you!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
(male)

quiet storm HB User

I'd be careful with xanax, its very addictive.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hey Malak, I know this word "what's wrong". I am glad that you are getting into therapy. Just wanted to offer you some support.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

when my son started taking celexa he responded immediately. for about 2 weeks he was happier than he had been in a long time. then he crashed. it took another 2 weeks or so before he started feeling better but not to the initial extent. he was calmer, slept better, some what happier. that may be what happened to you. please call your doc and let him know about this. also it doesn't take long for the xanax to build up a tolerance. the initial dose may not be working now. God bless

Old 04-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
(female)

Malak HB User

And i thank you for that. I believe that every kind word is important for anyone that comes to this particular board and it can really make a difference.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #8
(female)

Malak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian100 View Post
when my son started taking celexa he responded immediately. for about 2 weeks he was happier than he had been in a long time. then he crashed. it took another 2 weeks or so before he started feeling better but not to the initial extent. he was calmer, slept better, some what happier. that may be what happened to you. please call your doc and let him know about this. also it doesn't take long for the xanax to build up a tolerance. the initial dose may not be working now. God bless
That's exactly what i feel; i felt better right at the first days but suddenly i was back to square one, it is frustrating but i guess if i handle this for so long, i can wait a few more weeks.
Thank you for the support marian100.

Closed Thread