It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
(female)

Elga HB User
Remeron and appetite

Hello,

I've been taking Remeron since 3 weeks. My initial dosage was 15mg and now on 30 mg since yesterday.

I was given Remeron (have tried many other anti depressant before but could not tolerate the SE), mainly for my sleeping problems and for my lost of appetite.

I do sleep better but still need ativan 1mg to help fall asleep.

As for the appetite, I find that during the day it did not increase my appetite at all. I take the Remeron at night, and about an hour after I take it, I get big urges for snacking, it's not very good as I suffer from acid reflux.

Wondering if this will shift to increase my appetite during the day, is it normal only to feel hungry after taking the Remeron. Comments appreciated...
Have a nice day,

Elga

Old 04-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Remeron and appetite

I have been on Remeron at 60mg for twenty months or so. The appetite increase usually follows after taking the med and for me at least I barely eat through out the day. I also need another sleep medication to fall asleep, Remeron by itself will not get the job done.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
(female)

Elga HB User

Hello trg247

This med does not seem very used, and I wonder why they say it't the best one for sleep if we need another one to fall asleep. I find I sleep more, but in a coma sense not being able to rool over, which brings on numbness in some parts of my body. I guess finaly I was not wrong when I fell this urge to eat after taking it, unfortunatly I cannot eat before going to bed, and maybe I will try spliting the dose in half 15 mg in the morning and l5 at night to bring on some appetite, thanks for your reply

Elga

Old 04-15-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
(male)

Rusty55 HB User

I was prescribed Remeron many years ago and it does help with sleep.I could not stop eating while taking Remeron.Weight gain for me is part of Depression so I stopped taking it.I would advise any one to not take Remeron if there worried about weight gain.

Last edited by Rusty55; 04-15-2007 at 08:59 AM.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
(female)

tracy1965 HB User

Hello All... Yes, I just started Remeron 4 weeks ago, 15mg. I have just been increased to 30mg as of today.. Apparently, (I have read) that on stronger doses the appetite problem sometimes goes away. .. Jeez I hope so because I am eating everything in sight. At first I just thought it was PMS but it's lasted too long for that. I just recently lost almost 30lbs and now in the past month I've put at least 10 back on. probably closer to 15 but I'm afraid to look at the scale. .. Has anyone noticed the appetite problem decreases at higher doses?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I have been on 60mg as I mentioned before for quite some time now. I eat normaly once per day and maybe something small later on in the day. I have been steadily losing weight since I stopped taking Zyprexa, brutal med for weight gain, so my appetite is definately not very high. My doctor said 60mg is as high as you can go on Remeron at least in Canada.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 04-24-2007, 06:28 AM   #7
(female)

tracy1965 HB User

Sounds hopeful.. Thank you... If I gain my weight back again it'll likely bring back the depression. ... ok I'll post back here later to update if the 30mg made a difference in appetite. Keeping Fingers crossed (makes it harder to eat chips that way lol) .... Tracy

Old 04-24-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User

I was on remeron many years ago...I took it for about a month and I gained weight so fast (which made me happy because I was underweight) and I also took it at night, especially because it knocked me out. I cant remember it I ever took any other doses though. I stopped it because I dont think it helped me with my depression and it made me so groggy during the day. I do have some left and sometimes ill take half a pill if I need help getting to sleep if Im really having troubles to like if Im overstressed....when I just want to be knocked out, but it doesnt make me hungry anymore when I take it.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
(female)

Elga HB User

Thanks for the responses, I've been away and just back reading the posts, actually Remeron helped with depression, but now at 30 mg, which I only take at night during the day made me sleepy, the urges to get out of bed and eat are even greater. Which it could bring thoses urges during the day, which it did not. Have a nice day

Closed Thread