It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 05:38 AM   #1
(female)

peace1910 HB User
Red face can anyone tell me what is involved?

i've been having trouble with treatment resistent depression and have been on most meds known to mankind....also have had some weird neruo type symptoms(won't go into mindless details) my doc referrred me for a neuro/psych eval...i'm scared as i've never heard of this before...anyone ever had one of these done? what do they do to you...any needles involved?
my imagination has gone into overdrive. please, please, anyone give me a heads-up about what to expect....thank you so much in advance if you can help me.....................denise

Old 04-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
(male)

RatPack78 HB User
Re: can anyone tell me what is involved?

I don't know exactly what goes on in a neurological exam as I've never had one. They may draw some blood on which to do some tests, such as thyroid function (an overactive/under active thyroid can cause some mental problems) and others. Depending on how thorough the exam is, they may even do a CAT scan or other non-invasive imaging of the brain.

A psychiatric exam is pretty boring, just answering a lot of questions. It may help you to write down your feelings so that you can remember to tell the psych. about your feelings. The goal is to diagnose you so that treatment can begin, either with counseling, medications, or most likely both. It's nothing to be afraid of.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi peace,
i have neuro exams for my migraines. the eval itself doesn't really involve much and it takes place in the dr's office. he/she will basically test your awareness, or mental status (by asking some questions about time, but usually just by starting to and holding a conversation with you); reflexes (just as a general practitioner would do); balance and coordination (by asking you to walk straigth, backwards, on your tiptoes, and/or on your heels); some cranial nerves (one of which can be tested by the dr. asking you to follow his/her fingers with your eyes; and also your ability to feel, or your sensory perception, by using an object (usually something slightly sharper) to trace a line on the bottom of your feet, or a little needle to gently pr.ick your arm or hand, to see if you have feelings in that specific area.... it really isn't invasive at all. at least that's how i perceived it. my neuro keeps doing this every six months--that is, whenever i'm scheduled to see him.

and like ratpack said, the dr. may also want to order an MRI or a CT-scan to find out in more detail what is happening within the brain itself. overall, i wouldn't worry about the eval itself one bit!!! oh, and the dr. will also ask you some questions, as all drs. do...

hope this helped a bit!
God bless and good luck!!! let us know how it went!!

Last edited by Dakota_Skye; 04-28-2007 at 11:15 PM.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:26 AM   #4
(male)

Kiba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota_Skye View Post
hi peace,
i have neuro exams for my migraines. the eval itself doesn't really involve much and it takes place in the dr's office. he/she will basically test your awareness, or mental status (by asking some questions about time, but usually just by starting to and holding a conversation with you); reflexes (just as a general practitioner would do); balance and coordination (by asking you to walk straigth, backwards, on your tiptoes, and/or on your heels); some cranial nerves (one of which can be tested by the dr. asking you to follow his/her fingers with your eyes; and also your ability to feel, or your sensory perception, by using an object (usually something slightly sharper) to trace a line on the bottom of your feet, or a little needle to gently pr.ick your arm or hand, to see if you have feelings in that specific area.... it really isn't invasive at all. at least that's how i perceived it. my neuro keeps doing this every six months--that is, whenever i'm scheduled to see him.

and like ratpack said, the dr. may also want to order an MRI or a CT-scan to find out in more detail what is happening within the brain itself. overall, i wouldn't worry about the eval itself one bit!!! oh, and the dr. will also ask you some questions, as all drs. do...

hope this helped a bit!
God bless and good luck!!! let us know how it went!!
Like my dear friend Dakota_Skye, I have neuro exams for my migraines and I also have depression. It may sound scarey but it is not. The main part is no lieing on the psychiatric exam when they start asking questions (as the doctor told me speak your mind). Remember they are there to help you get better.
Feel free to write us.

Your friend
Kiba

PS. Good luck

Old 04-29-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
(female)

peace1910 HB User
Arrow Re: can anyone tell me what is involved?

thank you so much to everyone who replied...i had nightmares of being hooked up to electrodes on my head and being shocked or something of that nature. if all i have to do is get blood drawn and answer a bunch of mindless questions, that i can do. again thanks everyone for your information..i will let you know how it goes......................bless you all...........peace

Closed Thread