It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

kaos1000 HB User
Undiagnosed/Untreated 20+ years

Anyone deal with finding out about your depression later in life (I'm 40)?
I just always thought I was really a substandard person. Like, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't put together the confidence and drive I see in others.

Now, it's all getting clearer. I want to make the most out of the rest of my life.
Anyone go this long (20 years) and not know about depression?

Old 05-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
(female)

justlilme HB User
Re: Undiagnosed/Untreated 20+ years

Hi Kaos. My mother had depression since her marriage to my father in her early 20s, but she denied it because she thought the only way to deal with it was to block it out. She thought that in order to deal with her depression she had to open up and express her feelings, which would result in her using all her energy to fix her emotional problems rather than taking care of us children, the bills and household, and her career (since my dad did nothing). In the end, she sacrificed her physical health and became very ill 5yrs ago and almost died of pancreatitis. She decided to take things slow and get help, especially now that we kids are grown. She's on Zoloft and is now very strong spiritually. She gardens every day and takes it slow. She even works out at the gym with all her older lady friends.

It's never too late to seek help and get better. My mother has given me so much advice about life and depression and she will definitely tell you that it's not too late. Please don't regret that it took you so long to find out. What matters is that you now know and that you can get help to be happy now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User
Re: Undiagnosed/Untreated 20+ years

hi lilme,

God bless your mom for going through what she did, and coming out of it successfully!!! That says sooooo much about her strength of spirit and mental agility; about her will to survive, and about her drive to live!!!!

what a wonderful post you have put up here lilme. i know it will encourage many others.

kaos, like lilme said, it's never too late!! NEVER!!! lilme explained how her mom is now dealing with life, how she is doing things that make her happier.

now, that you came out of the darkness--you can find things that will make you feel better, things that will fill YOUR life with positive energy; all you need to do is do some thinking about what it would be that would make you feel good spending time doing. what your interests are: photography, exercise, "communing" with nature/hiking/walking in the woods, arts, going to a museum, bowling, planting a garden (yes, men garden too! and watching it grow (i think that's one of the most self-satisfying things to do--for me that is, as it is for lilme's mom); animals; becoming a "big brother" to some underprivileged kid (God bless them)--they really need guidance and role models!...these are just a few ideas that you may want to think about doing in your spare time. if you have some money stashed aside, i'd say go on a trip. a trip that you've been dreaming to take for a long time. for me, it's about seeing the world, the people in it, and experiencing another lifestyle, another culture. if i could, i'll travel every chance i get.

you can do anything you want, kaos. you've overcome something really powerful that's been holding you down for a long time. now, that's also saying something about you and your strength and power!!!
it's time you gave yourself a reward!!!!!!
go for it!!!
fondly,
dakota

Closed Thread