It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

Debjean777 HB User
How long does i take prozac to kick in?

My doctor prescibed me prozac for depression. I'm on my third day and he said it could take weeks before i see a difference. How long did it take before it helped you? Also, any positive feed back would be greatly appreciated. Please don't tell me any negative side effects or not to take this particular medication because i've got enough negative thoughts and reluctuance to take this medication but it is something i have to do because of extreme depression that i have been going thru for over a year. Thanks so much.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User
Re: How long does i take prozac to kick in?

i'm taking the generic prozac fluoxitine. it took AT LEAST 6-8 weeks for it to work for me. its great. i was like this before.
now i'm more like this but i still have my down days. not to mention i was bad today and didnt' take it like i should of. i'll probably feel worse next day or 2.

but over all its my miracle drug. and YES i had a very hard time accepting the fact i needed it. i still dontl ike taking something in the first place but getting to the point of self harm i had to go on soething.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

I took prozac several years ago during an extremely tough time. OTHER PEOPLE noticed a difference before I did. After a little over a month (and comments from those close to me) I did notice a difference.

I took it for 2 years. For me the only bad side effect was I didn't get REALLY EXCITED about anything for a while.

It may well have saved my life. Getting off of it was not a problem when I decided to stop.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
(female)

TANKG!RL HB User

It'll probally take about a month before it really settles into your system. Some a little sooner and some a little longer. Just keep making sure you are taking it the same time everyday. Good Luck!

Old 05-18-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
(female)

CloudieSkies2 HB User

I have been taking Prozac for a little over 2 years, and I believe it saved my life.
It took about 4 weeks until I got the full effects, although I felt it help immediately, I was very desperate at the time.
I had no side effects and no weight gain. I've heard a lot of people say they had no emotions while on Prozac, that was not true with me, I still have emotions, still cry and all, just not out of controll.
It really helped me to get and keep my thoughts together, and to see the bright side of life again.
The downside to Prozac...it just poops out. Unfortunately, it has stopped working for me and I am in the process of weaning from it and starting on Zoloft the end of the month.
Although, there are a lot of people that have been on Prozac for many years and it still works for them.
I hope this helps you a little, in a positive way!
Hope you start feeling better soon!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Debjean -

I noticed a slight difference after only a couple of weeks. It was nothing major, but a difference, nonetheless. After a full month, I felt much better.

Last edited by kittywitty; 05-19-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
(female)

abrniidgrl HB User

I noticed the difference within the first week.

Closed Thread