It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
(female)

Betty Bee HB User
Depression 2 weeks before period...How to treat this?

I'm 34 years old and on birth control for over two years. Since I turned 27, I have noticed I get depressed 2 weeks prior to getting my period. These bouts can last for 2-2 1/2 weeks at a time. I feel like a "normal" person maybe 1 week out of the entire month. I have no motivation or zest for life during these down times, and when I do feel good, I know just around the corner is going to be another bout of feeling down. Depression and alcoholism run in my family. I don't drink. I'm sure there are a lot of women out there who are experiencing the same issues. Are there any women who have decided an anit-depressent would be best for them? I have read that some women take an anti-depressent only during their down times, maybe the 1-2 weeks before their periods to decrease the mood swings. Are there any women out there who are on this particular treatment? If so, what has been your experiences, pros, cons, sexual side affects?

Last edited by Betty Bee; 05-21-2007 at 06:52 AM.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User
Re: Depression 2 weeks before period...How to treat this?

hi betty,

yes, i have that too. besides my mood going way down though, i also get migraines, and like you, no motivation--feel as if i have to drag myself around, feel very heavy, irritable, angry (i find myself angry at those around me and even at strangers--as when i was driving, for ex.); bloating; sometimes i cry--overall, i was very emotionally oversensitive....i think that birth control pills are supposed to adjust hormones and that some women take them just for this reason, no? i actually can't take them because of my migraines..... but yeah, i probably have premenstrul dysphoric disorder...

i don't know if you have all these symptoms, and if you have PDD or simply premenstrual symptoms--but if you do have the above symptoms, and they have lasted for as long as you said, then you may have PDD...it was the same for me, i wasn't "good" for at least two weeks out of the month, no matter what i did. in addition to that, i have been diagnosed with major depression plus anxiety, and i was already on an antidepressant, although after years of taking it, i needed an adjustment to my med regimen, so the dr. added a "mood stabiliser." i think this has helped to a great extent. you may benefit from a low dosage of an antidepressant. many women take it for PDD. however, i'd suggest you talk to your doctor before anything else, and to get a diagnosis (or not), to see whether you even need a medication. also, many women choose the natual way of treating this...with progesterone, for example. they also say exercise and a good diet helps a lot. i'm a little lazy in that area (exercise that is), although i know it helps in terms of everything from headaches, to depression, to migraines, etc..

anyway, good luck to you, and i hope other women post their experiences.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
(female)

even_sly HB User

I get like this too... Despite taking 200 mgs. for OCD and depression. You'd think that would "cover" PMS, but I guess not.

A friend told me about Black Cohosh... It's an herb, I guess? Anyway, it's technically for those in menopause, but it has been shown to elevate mood, too.

Also Omega 3's are good... Fish oil... Anything with Omega 3 in it... Flax seed oil, etc. This is a mood-enhancer and seems to work pretty good for some people I know taking it.

As far as antidepressants, some women do really well on a mild dose of Prozac for PMS. I'd check with your doc about that. In fact, you can talk to your OB/GYN, because they treat people with this all the time. If what they do for you doesn't work, though, then I'd see a psych doc.

Hope you feel better and find something that works. Hugs ~ Sly

Old 05-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
(female)

Betty Bee HB User

I have heard all the remedies and sometimes I am so disciplined at the exercise, vitamins, supplements...but I am not consistant. I seem to "fall off the wagon" so to speak. Now I have absolutely no drive to get my _ss to the gym!! It's like a never ending cycle. I would consider taking a low dose anti- depressant but I'm afraid it will affect my sex drive...I already have a low libido...I don't want to make it worse....my poor husband!

Quote:
Originally Posted by even_sly View Post
I get like this too... Despite taking 200 mgs. for OCD and depression. You'd think that would "cover" PMS, but I guess not.

A friend told me about Black Cohosh... It's an herb, I guess? Anyway, it's technically for those in menopause, but it has been shown to elevate mood, too.

Also Omega 3's are good... Fish oil... Anything with Omega 3 in it... Flax seed oil, etc. This is a mood-enhancer and seems to work pretty good for some people I know taking it.

As far as antidepressants, some women do really well on a mild dose of Prozac for PMS. I'd check with your doc about that. In fact, you can talk to your OB/GYN, because they treat people with this all the time. If what they do for you doesn't work, though, then I'd see a psych doc.

Hope you feel better and find something that works. Hugs ~ Sly

Old 05-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
(female)

Toffee1 HB User

I use to get this quite often just before they started now it is more deep rooted and not totally connected to that. I cant remember exactly what I use to do - sometimes I just rode the storm and saw it through. Never took medication at this time - did find myself crying at the most stupid things on TV - quite embarrasing.

I did a lot of things that helped me relax - mood tapes that I listened to and unwinded to - the sounds of the water etc. Also had lovely aroma candles and just took time out for myself. Tried to do things that made me feel comfortable but what I enjoyed.

Really dont know what other advice I could give - just knew it was a fact and got on with it - wish I could do that more now.

Warm wishes

Old 05-25-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Count me in. Sometimes my mood tanks and I can't figure out what triggered it. Then I realize - it's that time of the month. I take anti-depressants but it still happens. I'm not discouraging meds though. They've probably saved my life.

A new birth control pill just came out that prevents periods, but I don't know if I'd feel comfortable taking it.

Last edited by MariaBB; 05-25-2007 at 07:31 AM.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:29 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

You may want to check your bcp. If it's a mini pill, progesterone only, that can make depressive symptoms worse. A pill that includes estorgen along with the progesterone is a better choice for many women who get the PMS/DD.

I got a Mirena so no more cycle really, and I also take Zoloft. No big mood swings now. Used to be I would email myself a autoreminder that it was two days before I turned into a witch(b). It's such a relief to be done with all that!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:25 AM   #8
(female)

missmyjeans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbizz View Post
You may want to check your bcp. If it's a mini pill, progesterone only, that can make depressive symptoms worse. A pill that includes estorgen along with the progesterone is a better choice for many women who get the PMS/DD.

I got a Mirena so no more cycle really, and I also take Zoloft. No big mood swings now. Used to be I would email myself a autoreminder that it was two days before I turned into a witch(b). It's such a relief to be done with all that!
Hi... I've had the same symptoms for quite a few years... my gyn recommended I take Evening Primrose Oil and some calcium... it is amazing how well it works. If you're forgetful about dosing (like me) just buy a little plastic pill reminder and put them in there. Flaxseed oil works well for constipation, which can be a side effect of calcium.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
(female)

greenidme HB User

I have a soy shake once a day and take extra calcium and fish oil.
I also take a multivitamin and plan to add extra b-complex.
All of the above are helping- I still get depressed a week or two before I'm supposed to get my period (haven't had one in 4 months and STILL get these symptoms!!!) But the depression isn't as deep as before.
Try everything- you never know what will work for you!
Good luck!

Closed Thread