It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User
Depression what med works good?

I am in such a depression, alot of family issues all my life, actually I gave up my whole life taking care of family members. Now they are on their own (which is good) but don't bother w/me much at all. I have to be careful since I had a nervous breakdown when I was younger. Can't see a phyc since my Ins doesn't cover it & they want so much can't afford it. My Dr would go along w/giving me something though. Don't want anything long term just to get thru all this & this feeling.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User
Re: Depression what med works good?

It's really hard to say which medications work well and which don't because everyone is different. It's all trial and error. You try one, increase the dose slowly, etc; if that one doesn't work you switch to something else.

I learned during the process of switching that I was better off with a combination of drugs. I take Wellbutrin and Effexor.

Talk to your doctor to see what he/she says. It could be that you'd be better off with an anti-anxiety drug rather than an anti-depressant.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

If you are looking for something on a short term basis avoid pharamcy antidepressants as they take up to six weeks to work and thats if you managed to find the right one on the first try.

Try natural products first like St. Johns wort and such

good luck
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 05-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gram4 HB User

I have been taking Gaba heard it was good.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I would also suggest trying St. John's Wart if you want something inexpensive, but it can not be taken with birth control pills (which is why I've never tried it), but I've heard good things about it!

As for the meds, I agree with everyone... it's all trial and error. I am on Cymbalta and I like it but even with insurance it's $50/month for me. Without it, it's pretty expensive. I am currently on 60mg but will be going down to 30mg because it was making me tired and making me sleep way too much. It has relaxed me so far and improved my mood greatly. I'm just TOO relaxed sometimes and feel like I'm off in la-la land sometimes, which is why I'm decreasing the dose down to 30mg. It hasn't made me gain weight or anything and no other side effects besides being tired. I took 30mg the first week and yes, I was tired at first, but by the end of the week I felt better, so it should definitely be fine!

Other than that, I know a friend who is on Lexapro 10mg and likes it.

Good luck!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
I would also suggest trying St. John's Wart if you want something inexpensive, but it can not be taken with birth control pills
I don't think billsgramp has to worry about mixing with birth control pills .

Old 05-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
(female)

TANKG!RL HB User

Zoloft worked wonders for me and they say in some people it can actually correct the chemical inbalance in your brain and after awhile you may not need them anymore. I was on them for a year and I have been off of them for a year and 5 months now. Depression runs high in my family and I still feel some days where I wish I had those happy pills, but I do feel better then I did a couple of years ago.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #8
(male)

Breezes HB User

I would avoid an antidepressant like Paxil which has a reputation for difficult withdrawals. I think it's worth researching any meds that your doctor may recommend.

Look to friends for support. Talking about how you feel really helps.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #9
(female)

even_sly HB User

LOL Imagine!! Hehe. Sorry, but just had to comment on that...

I agree on Paxil... A lot of people say it has bad withdrawl symptoms and can cause weight gain.

I take Zoloft and love it. Works great for me... Prozac seems to work well for people I know too.

Stick with the SSRIs... They have less side effects than the older tricyclic antidepressants. If you type in SSRI in a search engine you'll get some info.

Good luck and let us know how you are. HUGS ~ Sly

Old 05-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsgramp View Post
I am in such a depression, alot of family issues all my life, actually I gave up my whole life taking care of family members. Now they are on their own (which is good) but don't bother w/me much at all. I have to be careful since I had a nervous breakdown when I was younger. Can't see a phyc since my Ins doesn't cover it & they want so much can't afford it. My Dr would go along w/giving me something though. Don't want anything long term just to get thru all this & this feeling.
For what it is worth....I watched a t.v. program not long ago about ad's. The physician was a strong proponent of tricyclics. He believes they work better than the new generation....... nortriptyline and amitriptyline. etc. are examples of tricyclics........Good luck.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Skip Effexor. Nasty withdrawal symptoms.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by even_sly View Post
LOL Imagine!! Hehe. Sorry, but just had to comment on that...
LMAO! I couldn't resist... I was only teasing, tUrRrRa. It is a good thing to point out for any females who read this and may consider using St. John's Wort.

I agree that you should stay away from Effexor. It has worked wonders for me in combination with Wellbutrin, but as Survivor said the withdrawal is nasty. It also has nasty side effects (thankfully I'm past those).

It seems that a lot of doctors, gp's and psychiatrists, are going back to the older tricyclics. I've heard a lot about that in the last year or so.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

maoi's are risky too.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:59 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor3 View Post
maoi's are risky too.
Not to mention that there a LOT of other drugs that cannot be taken with MAOI'S.

Closed Thread