It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
(female)

even_sly HB User
Lamictal for depression?

Hey guys ~ Question for you. I coach a high school dance team. One of my kids is on Lamictal for depression. I read about it... It's an anti-seizure drug? I thought docs were still doing the SSRI's for teenagers, while carefully watching them for signs of the suicide stuff? Why would a doc give this kid Lamictal? I don't get it. She doesn't seem bipolar to me at all (I read up a bit on this drug.)

Anyway, I really like this kid... Her mom told me she's been having troubles. I explained to her that I "knew a lot" about psych drugs and asked what her kid is taking. That's how I found out.

Anyone know anything about this drug? And why a doc would give it to a teenager for depression?

Thanks for your help, guys. HUGS!! ~ S

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User
Re: Lamictal for depression?

hi sly,
i don't know much about adolescents or teens, but i do know that lamictal was approved to be used in unipolar depression as an augmentative med. to other meds that one's already taking, to sort of "boost" them.... you're right, it's usually given to those with bipolar, but it's also being given to depressives whose lows are very low, and who may have some mild highs.... i guess, the way my dr. explained it to me was "to keep the lows from going too low"... it's a med. that's usually used in conjuction with other meds, in treatment-resistant depression, when lithium doesn't work, for ex. it can be used alone, however, if the patient is bipolar. i've only heard that it can be prescribed to both children and adults, although i'm not sure why that dr. chose this med for her. sorry that i can't be of more help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
(female)

even_sly HB User
Re: Lamictal for depression?

Thanks SO MUCH for your info, Dakota. I talked to her mom further and she told me that this kid threatened suicide once. That was enough for her doc to put her on something other than an SSRI, I guess. At least that's what I think.

Apparently she was on Paxil and had the suicidal thoughts. So... Maybe docs are now prescribing Lamictal for teens with depression who feel this way?

The meds stuff facinates me...

Thanks again for your thoughts. HUGS ~ Sly

Closed Thread