It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
(male)

Chris_302 HB User
Fluoxetine - Just started on this

Took my first Fluoxetine tablet this morning, and have begin to feel some of the side effects already. It's been about six hours. I had an dry mouth after just a couple of hours, although this has subsided a little. But I've got an overwhelming feeling of tiredness as if I just can't keep my eyes open. I've been struggling to sleep recently (getting only the bare minimum each night), and I am generally tired anyway, but not anywhere near to this level.

Does this tiredness tend to subside (not drowsy just struggling to keep eyes open as if I'd done a night shift). I drive cars at high speeds frequently in my job and don't want Fluoxetine to prevent me doing this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
(female)

justlilme HB User
Re: Fluoxetine - Just started on this

Hi Chris. I don't take Prozac, but I am on an SSRI and they all tend to have the major side effects in common: fatigue, drowsiness, nausea, dry mouth, insomnia, etc. I've been on Celexa for more than two months now and I've found that I've gotten used to the drowsiness. I used to yawn all the time, but now I don't. I just need a few more hours of sleep than I did before medication. I was lucky to not have the dry mouth, although I did have nausea, which subsided about a month after starting medication.

Good luck with your medicine. Btw, are you a race car driver? Lol, I just had to ask.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
(female)

bailey46 HB User

You'll get used to it eventually and won't feel drowsy. If I remember correctly, it took a couple of weeks for the full antidepressant effect to kick in and for the drowsiness to go away. I'd be careful about driving at high speeds, though, until you've given your body a chance to adjust to the meds.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
(female)

CloudieSkies2 HB User

Hi Chris, wow, the side effects came fast. What dosage are you taking? When I started taking Prozac 3 years ago, it took a couple of weeks to feel any effects, although the side effects started a few days later, the ones I mostly rememeber having are the dry mouth and the yawning....the yawning drove me crazy, but after a couple of weeks all the side effects went away.
If it makes you so drowsy or tired, try takng it in the evening before bed.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:01 AM   #5
(male)

Chris_302 HB User

Thanks for the advice. Think I'll start taking it before bed then. It's not so much yawning etc, rather the kind of tiredness where you struggle to keep your eyes open. Imagine you keeping your eyes open and someone blowing into your eyes. That feeling you get where you have to close them.

Funny though, I still struggled to get to sleep despite this.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
(female)

galbraith37 HB User

i felt so ill on these tablets and it never got any better, i had the dry mouth,sickness, tiredness and just felt ill all the time so they had to change them.Hope you have better luck chris

Old 05-25-2007, 07:05 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User

Does it really matter what time you take them? Coz I notice I just take mine randomly throughout the morning. Not that I intent to do so, but sometimes I just cant get up in the morning, so I take them in the afternoon after lunch.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
(female)

galbraith37 HB User

For some reason i don,t no but my doctor told me to take my tablets in the morning.Your tablets are suppose to give you a lift and make you feel better so if i take mine in the morning am good for the day but if you take it at nite it will have worn out by the time you get up, so maybe chris thats why you are tired.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:14 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTra111 View Post
Does it really matter what time you take them? Coz I notice I just take mine randomly throughout the morning. Not that I intent to do so, but sometimes I just cant get up in the morning, so I take them in the afternoon after lunch.
yes, according to my psychatrist it does matter when you take certain SSRI. I was taking celexa ramdonly also and felt worse. doc told me you have to be consistant and take them SAME time every day. no skipping around.

i also take fluoxetine. 20mg capsuels. took a goot 6-8 weeks to notice a big difference. i'm not down and crying all the time. i can cope with life now. take mine in the am same time everyday.

i still struggle with sleeping also so my doc has had me try couple different sleeping aids. right now generic klonopin seems to be helping with sleep.

some days i would miss my fluoxitine ....on purpose cause i just dont' want to take it anyways...at first i was more depressed with missing it. now the other day i missed it and was just SO tired all i wanted to do was sleep all day.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User

See the problem, my doc never told me this kind of thing, in fact, she never told me how to take my pills. And clever me, I never remember to ask. Well, I guess I will start taking them the same sort of time everyday from now on them. Apart from my doc gave me sth to help me sleeping, and they are strong, I slept till 4pm yesterday, and 1.30pm today, it was just simply a pass out.

I rememeber the day when I switched from my old AD to Prozac, I didnt get the meds on time, stupid chemists. So I kind ofmissed on dose, I was soooo depressed all of a sudden, and I went all shaky, and just totally scared of my mates who were around me... that was a torture.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
(female)

justlilme HB User

Just wanted to pop in and say Hi Mokie! I haven't seen you in a while.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlilme View Post
Just wanted to pop in and say Hi Mokie! I haven't seen you in a while.
hi. oh, i come and go alot. feeling like this right now.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:52 AM   #13
(male)

mikeyd82 HB User

i was on fluoxetine and i was never told what time to take them, i took them after i recieved them from the pharmacy so every night at 7pm, i took them, i found i had a serious headache every day at 6pm for about 2 hours. after the headache's i felt really awake and i just couldnt sleep, whether that was the tablets kicking in at the wrong time or my anxieties and bad visions or both i dont know. that wasnt the worst side effect for me, the worst was i had a lot of hallucinations, i could see myself killing myself in really gruesome ways, then after a few weeks i could actually see myself dead, hanging from my attic hatch and in the bath with my wrists slit, i then tried to actually hang myself because i thought i had no control over my life and because i thought that i could see my dead body, i might as well do it. luckily, my knot tying skills arent the best lol, i went to A & E at the hospital that night and they told me to go to my doctors the following morning. i did this and he took me off the fluoxetine immediately and he gave me citalopram to take instead. been taking them 4 months now with no bad reactions or side effects at all. my advice to anyone feeling bad side effects such as the hallucinations etc, please see your doctor, it may be the medication doing it to you rather than your own rational mind.

Closed Thread