It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User
Paxil vs. Prozac

My doctor is switching me from 40 mgs of Prozac to 40 mgs of Paxil. I've been on Prozac for 13 years and am sort of nervous about the change. Does Paxil cause weight gain? I only know 2 people who take Paxil, and both are overweight. Although I don't know if their weight is related to their meds. If Paxil causes weight gain I'm going to tell my doctor to scrap that prescription and please write out one for Prozac.

Also, what about side effects? Are they different with Paxil? I have enough Prozac to last a few days before beginning the Paxil. I hope to get some responses before I have to switch.

Last edited by MariaBB; 05-23-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ExTra111 HB User
Re: Paxil vs. Prozac

Why did your doc suggest the swap?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

I only see him every 8 weeks or so. Each time he makes mention that I've lost weight. I think he thinks I'm losing weight because I'm depressed, and therefore the Prozac is not helping my depression. Therefore, the switch.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
(female)

bailey46 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaBB View Post
My doctor is switching me from 40 mgs of Prozac to 40 mgs of Paxil. I've been on Prozac for 13 years and am sort of nervous about the change. Does Paxil cause weight gain? I only know 2 people who take Paxil, and both are overweight. Although I don't know if their weight is related to their meds. If Paxil causes weight gain I'm going to tell my doctor to scrap that prescription and please write out one for Prozac.

Also, what about side effects? Are they different with Paxil? I have enough Prozac to last a few days before beginning the Paxil. I hope to get some responses before I have to switch.
Hi there... If overall you're doing well on Prozac, why change?

I'd be very careful about taking Paxil. This is just one girl's story but I think it's worth sharing if it'll save you from the agony I experienced...

I was diagnosed with clinical depression in 1987 and have been on various anti-depressents ever since. I have been on Prozac now for years and have done very well on it. The only down side for me is that I do have to make myself eat or I'll lose too much weight. Before Prozac I was on Paxil for 2 years and had problems with side effects the entire time... yawn, itching, stomach upset, mental confusion, sleep distrubance, twitching, restless legs, and the list goes on and on. And for all the side effects, Paxil was not very effective in helping to control my depression or anxiety. I tried several times to stop taking Paxil but would end up really sick with something like bad flu symptoms. I ended up having to see a psychopharmacologist who put me on a cocktail of Paxil and Prozac in order to gardually wean me off Paxil. His words to me were "You cannot just stop Paxil like you can some anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medications. You must wean off of it gradually for your own safety." It took several months and I felt sick the entire time. So, my advice to you is to do your homework first. Don't listen to the manufacturer. Paxil is addictive and dangerous. If you ever want to get off of it you'll have to wean off with the help of other meds. Find out everything you can about Paxil before agreeing to take it so you know what you're getting yourself into. Remember it's your body and you don't have to take anything you don't want to.

Good luck to you!!

Last edited by bailey46; 05-24-2007 at 07:15 PM.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Yikes! Thanks for the info Beth.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
(female)

CloudieSkies2 HB User

Hi, I have been on Prozac for 3 years and am presently being switched to Zoloft.
The Prozac just wasn't helping me anymore.
Presently I am being weaned off the Prozac, cut from 40mg, to 20mg, and now a week without, and then starting the Zoloft in a week.

Maybe your doctor doesn't think the Prozac is helping you like it should.
If you have questions or concerns about the medication change, maybe you should mention it to your doctor, tell him your concerns.
I did tell my doctor I wanted something that would not make me gain weight, and we felt the Zoloft would be the best choice for me, but only time will tell.

I have heard nightmares about many AD, everybody is different and everyone reacts differently to them.

This is just my 2 cents!

Wishing you well.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

I took Paxil. I didn't gain or lose weight on it, but I couldn't take it for very long. It caused me to be extremely dizzy with very low blood pressure. I thought I was going to pass out all the time (this was after my eating disorder was under control so it was not related to the ED). Still, everyone reacts differently to it; you just have to try it and see. It didn't help much with my depression that I noticed either, but worst was the constant dizziness. I did not have any withdrawal symptoms quitting Paxil. Effexor was the worst for withdrawal out of all the meds I took and in my opinion should not be marketed at all.

Last edited by livinTX; 05-24-2007 at 05:39 AM.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

It's interesting to see how the different meds affect people differently. Thank you all for your input. I see my therapist tonight and will ask him about side effects as well. Thanks again!

Old 05-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #9
(female)

Terrigrrl HB User

I will put this as simply as possible. Paxil caused me to gain nearly 50 pounds. The withdrawal syndrome associated with Paxil is terrifying and EXTREMELY uncomfortable. I believe that it cost me a relationship, one that was supposed to include a wedding which I called off, and the sense that I was going insane all the time was quite debilitaing.

I switched (it took me 2 YEARS to wean myself off) to Wellbutrin and am much better off. It took about 8 months to walk off the 50 pounds. Can you say "class action suit"?

Old 05-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #10
(female)

even_sly HB User

Hi Maria ~ Paxil didn't work for me. Zoloft does. I've heard weight gain stories for Paxil too, though. It's important (I think) to remember that everyone reacts differently, though.

I mean, I took Anafranil for many years for OCD. Anafranil is a tricyclic AD and the big warning for it was MAJOR side effects. The only one I got was a little light-headedness here and there... I heard "horror stories" and I didn't get any of that.

So... I'd try it. I mean, if it makes you gain weight and you're uncomfortable with that, you can always try something else.

Is your doc prescribing this so you WILL gain weight, though? I don't think it's the way to go. Messing with your head? That's what it seems like to me.

Ugh.... This is tough. Hang in there, Maria. (((((((((((hugs)))))))))) ~ Sly

Old 05-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

I've suffered some of those Anafranil symptoms. When I first went on it I'd get light headed and almost pass out whenever I stood up (I actually did pass out a few times), I had dry mouth, constipation, ringing in the ears, no appetite, etc. I've adjusted though and have no problems anymore.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #12
(female)

even_sly HB User

Oh yeah, dry mouth! That's really the only side effect I have from Zoloft. Not bad... So, I stick with it. (((((Maria)))) ~ Sly

Old 05-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
(female)

bailey46 HB User

I did have a really lightheaded feeling on Paxil for the first month or so; very strange, and dry mouth along with the other side effects I mentioned.

Terrigrrl... You mentioned a class action suit in your previous post. In fact, I was contacted by a law firm about joining just that about a year ago. Apparently, enough people have had trouble with Paxil and with the withdrawl that folks are trying to get it taken off the market.

But, you know, y'all are so right... Not every AD is for everyone. There are those who have done very well on Paxil so I really shouldn't bad mouth it. I just wanted to share my story so you'd be informed.

All the best...

Last edited by bailey46; 05-24-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaBB View Post
I only see him every 8 weeks or so. Each time he makes mention that I've lost weight. I think he thinks I'm losing weight because I'm depressed, and therefore the Prozac is not helping my depression. Therefore, the switch.
Maria, why didn't you tell him the real reason that you were losing weight?

Old 05-26-2007, 07:45 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Sannah, I tried to work it in, but I don't think my psychiatrist really understands. At the previous appointment he told me to go eat ice cream! I only see him for about 10 minutes every 8-10 weeks so that doesn't give us a chance to get to know each other. I mentioned this to my psychologist and he asked if I trusted him. I said I did 100%. So long as my psychiatrist's meds are helping with my depression and OCD, then I guess it's OK. I've got my psychologist, support group, and these wonderful boards to help me with the rest.

Closed Thread