It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #16
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: psychiatrists are always right

Quote:
Originally Posted by messy View Post

7. If you complain, things will get worse in direct proportion to the extent of your complaints. If you complain at all, they will add oppositional defiant disorder to your diagnosis. If you complain loudly, they will add histrionic personality disorder to your diagnosis. If you show a strong distaste for the psychiatrist, they will add borderline personality disorder to your diagnosis. If you show any superior knowledge to the psychiatrist on any subject whatsoever, they will add narcissistic personality disorder to your diagnosis. If you are unwise enough to stop even there, you run the risk of being sectioned under the Mental Health Act to languish in the secure ward until you have thoroughly learned rule 8 (see below).

8. Patients may not express adverse opinions. Ever.

This was my experience with my last pyschiatrist. Every 3 weeks he would change around my meds. Every complaint I had about a side effect, he would add another med that was supposed to "take care of it". He kept increasing doses and adding meds. Then I ran into trouble with the pharmacy telling me he was giving me too high of a dose of some of them. I started looking up the meds and their side effects.

The more I complained, the more he added. Then he wrote me out something that I looked up and it was for psychotic behavior. I called him and said I was not going to take it, and I was not even going to have it filled and put on my record. I questioned all the meds he was giving me and the doses and he said that he should put me in the hospital for shock treatments. All because I kept questioning the medication. That's when I "fired" him.

My therapist was so appalled at his treatment of me that she said she was no longering referring people to him.

It's hard to find trustworthy doctors/therapists/psychiatrists.... no wonder so many people struggle with depression.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2007, 11:37 PM   #17
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

Throw in a little "non-compliant", "resistant", and "co-dependent".

"Okay then, you're (psychiatrist) a pencil-pusher with a text book and a little mind that can't think outside the box. What's your point?"

Label-pushers. I think they do that so they feel safe from becoming "mentally ILL" like "those" people (aka us).

Old 05-27-2007, 02:34 AM   #18
Veteran
(female)

Mokie HB User

i guess i have it good cause my psychatrist is nothing like this to me. she actually CARES if i'm getting better or worse. last time i saw her i was getting angry at her and she thought it was GREAT. that i was having and feeling emotions again. since i started to see her i would tell her " i dont' care what you do" then last visit i was showing some anger and she was just so happy about that.

we go over my medication, she askes how theraphy is going. i told her "i quit" and she didn't like that at all but when you don't have $$$ how are ya suppose to go to counseling. she was like "well, do you want me to make your art class a part of theraphy"

so there are some genuine caring psych out there. i also gave her the impression on my last visit that i was going to OD and she got real serious with me. i didn't ans her at first then she got more stern in her voice and asked me again. i told her no and she was happy with that.

when i first started taking anti depressant i asked her about long term use. she told me she would not give me anything that would hurt me in the long run. i feel fortunant now that i have such a caring doc.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:51 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

mokie--it's good to know that you have a positive experience with your pdoc!! it should give other people some hope!!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
(female)

wongurl HB User

oh my this is totally me. my psychiatrist even put me in the psych ward with somethign he did. he took me off of a med too fast and i went paranoid and was delusionl. and when i try and tell him i am depressed today he says i am fine we will keep an eye on it and doesnt look at me. just says giver her one day of emds at a time since i was saying i was depressed.

Closed Thread