It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Oprah

as many of you know today topic was about depression, actually todays topic was about celebrities with depression who wrote a book about it. I was hoping for more of a medical info show then what I got. Yes it is important to point out that depression is very serious and people should not feel stigmatized when seeking help. I don't think they really covered the basics about depression like other major warning signs. Everyone already knows that someone talking about suicide is a major distress call but what about the other signs I mean they covered a lot of them through the three celebrities but unless you had a pretty good knowledge base in depression chances are you would have missed them.

I liked the fact that they pretty much said that meds are not evil and almost neccassary for those with moderate to severe depression. ECT is a hit and miss thing it either works or it does not in my case it did not work.

I guess overall I should be happy that depression is being brought out into the open I just wished it was better organized and spent a little more time on education. My heart does go out to the country singer I can not even contemplate explaining to your children how their mother died

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 05-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
(male)

Waffles93 HB User
Re: Oprah

I felt that it was a rather superficial examination of depression. It was good to see that it was even discussed at all, but I felt the show could have dug much deeper. I think the show made it seem as if depression was pretty much resolved after treatment. For most of us, it seems to be a battle that can take much longer than a year or two to even get a handle on.
trg247, I agree with you that the show could have devoted more time to addressing symptoms other than suicidal thoughts.
I found it interesting that the actress thought that everyone has suicidal thoughts at one time or another. Sometimes it's hard to believe that there are people out there who live happy, content lives.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

One of the good things about Oprah is, if SHE is talking about it on her show, then it is okay to talk about in general conversation. Or at least less stigmatized than it has been.

A little Tom Cruise/Brooke Shields debate is helpful for getting people talking as well. Much less judging going on now. TG!

Old 05-25-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

I was not thrilled with that show at all...it was superficial. the singers wife was probably bipolar and thta wasnt even mentioned. oprah has no idea what depression is.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Thanks for the updates. I missed the segment and was curious how it went.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
(female)

justlilme HB User

I turned the show off shortly after Oprah kept on restating that Lorraine Bracco's depression was a result of choices she's made in her life. I don't believe that depression is a choice. Sure, we can choose to feel the way we want, but to a certain extent. When genetics and physiology play a role, as in the depression almost all of us here on the board experience, we have no control over our emotions. The only control we do have is to acknowledge our physical shortcomings and get help from professionals.

I don't think Oprah really understands what depression really entails. Although you can't blame her because a person really doesn't comprehend until they are personally touched with it, whether it be themselves or a loved one.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

yes that bothered me too. i missed the 1st 10 mins..did lorrainan bracco ever say what meds she was taking.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

I too was disappointed and thought it was very superficial. I always hate to see this type of show which seems to imply that once you get on medication everything is just great.

Many people never find the "right" medication, and for those that do, they spend years of their lives trying to get there. It's not always an easy fix, so it would be nice to see someone tackle the issue from this side.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

i agree with justlilme and sickofeffexor! very well said--both of you!!!

Old 05-26-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Oprah really said that? Unreal! Depression is never a choice. Does she think diabetes and cancer are chosen too?

Last edited by MariaBB; 05-26-2007 at 07:37 AM.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Oprah has no understanding whatsoever about depression. she thinks its about bad choices you make. i really think depression mostly stems from genetics. among other things. definitly postpartum depression is real and thats from hormones. but, alot of men get depressed and they dont have those hormones. oprah i kinda think was confusing depression with sadness and trying to make more out of her show. Yes, absolutely things that happen in your life can trigger depression. but why will the same things happen to some and suffer from depression and others not? thats why im convinced its mostly genetics.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Too bad I missed the show.......I am surprised. I think of Oprah as enlightened and tolerant.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I thought years ago I hear Oprah talk about a suicide attempt so I looked up her biography. The biography stated that in 1981 Oprah left Gail King a suicide note. According to this bio Oprah downplays this event. According to the article she was having a problem with a man. If you read her bio you will find she went through her own problems with men and drugs. I am not sticking up for her. I think she can be holier than thou. Maybe she does knows a little about depression. God bless

Closed Thread