It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 05:15 AM   #1
(male)

Jason27 HB User
A question and suggestion to depressed people

I wanted to ask those of you who are depressed, do you play any sports regularly? The reason I ask is because during the years when I thought my basketball days were over due to injuries, I was getting a little bored and depressed. Now I am getting back in shape from playing again, I feel stronger, healthier, and I meet about 10 new friends daily now. When I make a good play everyone is cheering for me and it makes me feel good. I am too wore out after a great exercise to even worry about anything. When I wake up the next day the first thought on my mind is when I will go back to the gym. So if you guys are depressed and do not have a sport I think taking up a sport is the best medicine.

Last edited by Jason27; 05-25-2007 at 05:16 AM.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
(female)

even_sly HB User
Re: A question and suggestion to depressed people

Hey Jason ~ Thanks! This is really good. The reason I say that is because I totally ENCOURAGE exercise as a way to feel better.

For me, it's not so much sports... Although, my son plays sports and I LOVE going to the games and meeting people. I'm WAY into working out. Biking, walking, Yoga, strength training. I've learned to enjoy it vs. dread it, because I realize it's good for my mind too.

So, GREAT suggestion Jason. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User

Jason, I agree 100%. Last year I was hit hard by the D and didn't do much. This year I have a gym membership, and wish I had it last year. I go to the gym regularly, but if I'm feeling depressed it really helps. Sometimes I'll go early in the day, and then if I feel depressed I'll go again later on. Good medicine!

Last edited by MariaBB; 05-25-2007 at 07:26 AM.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
(male)

Breezes HB User

I agree completely. I'm a big sports fan. Great exercise, competition, and meeting new friends. It is a fun diversion.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
(female)

bailey46 HB User

This is really good. Thank You for the reminder!

When I'm super depressed, as I've been lately, it's almost impossible just to get out of bed. But I know that if I can manage to get myself ready and out the door, even if only to walk around the block, I'm going to feel MUCH better. I've also found that just getting out and seeing something different puts me in a totally different state of mind. Staying active is the best medicine of all.

All the best...

Old 05-25-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
(male)

Jason27 HB User

No problem thanks for the replies When I wasn't playing sports and only lifting weights and running/walking on the treadmill, I still felt bored. The sport has really increased my confidence and I feel great. I wanted to share my experience with others who may not know why they are feeling down like I was.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason27 View Post
When I make a good play everyone is cheering for me and it makes me feel good.
I hear ya.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:23 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

msbibe HB User

If I am mildly depressed then, ya, exercise can help. That's usually a stress-depression. If I am needing-medication-depressed? Ha! No, not so much. Can't really drag self out for much, let alone exercise. A team sport? And risk letting people down because I'm doubting and second-guessing myself? Mmmm, no way. But exercise and daylight can be really helpful, at times.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:37 AM   #9
(female)

Toffee1 HB User
Thumbs up Re: A question and suggestion to depressed people

Hi Jason,

I have heard it helps cheer you up. It made my brother feel a bit better. I know I should do more but it is just getting myself motivated to do it which I must do. Although I need to do something else alongside it like talk to somebody - it may lift my mood slightly but I needed to also deal with what is bothering me too.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbizz View Post
If I am mildly depressed then, ya, exercise can help. That's usually a stress-depression. If I am needing-medication-depressed? Ha! No, not so much. Can't really drag self out for much, let alone exercise. A team sport? And risk letting people down because I'm doubting and second-guessing myself? Mmmm, no way. But exercise and daylight can be really helpful, at times.
i feel much the same way, msbizz!!

Old 05-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #11
(male)

Jason27 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffee1 View Post
Hi Jason,

I have heard it helps cheer you up. It made my brother feel a bit better. I know I should do more but it is just getting myself motivated to do it which I must do. Although I need to do something else alongside it like talk to somebody - it may lift my mood slightly but I needed to also deal with what is bothering me too.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I was not motivated at all. For some reason one day it was nice outside and I just went. The next day my muscles felt tight and overall I felt a lot lighter, that I went back and kept going since.

Last edited by Jason27; 05-26-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason27 View Post
No problem thanks for the replies When I wasn't playing sports and only lifting weights and running/walking on the treadmill, I still felt bored. The sport has really increased my confidence and I feel great. I wanted to share my experience with others who may not know why they are feeling down like I was.
Congratulations.......I need to get off the golf course and into the gym. I do run, though.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Therag HB User

Yeah there's no doubt that a boost of endorphins physical excercice gives. I was really into cycling before I got to depressed and no longer could get the motivation to participate

Old 05-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Survivor3 HB User

I swim and play with my kids. I'm looking forward to a softball league this summer.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Bumping up. Good thread.

Closed Thread